Thread: Built Case For Leigh Jig...

Built Case For Leigh Jig...

I've been asking questions in order to get a case built for my Leigh Dovetail Jig. I finally got around to finishing it, so I just thought I'd post it here. I originally made one out of 1/2" ply, but it weighed a ton, so I was trying to find a lighter material to make another. After asking for advice here, I decided to use some cheap HD 1/4" birch ply, that is actually 3/16" and very light. I used the jig to box joint to corners for added strength. The ply had a tendency to chip while cutting the box joints, so I had to use an spiral bit to help reduce that.
    My fear was that the 1/4" was going to be too thin to take the weight, however now that it's done, I see that it's plenty strong to take the weight of the jig. It's not fancy, but it works. Take a look...
    IMG_1010.jpg

Practical and well executed! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Refresh my memory. I have a Leigh jig. How do you make box joints with it?
    I'm guessing you just use straight bits in the router.

I read somewhere, 40 years ago or more, that - pound for pound, plywood is stronger than steel. 1/4" ply is plenty strong enough, but effective joinery without introducing heavier frame components has always been the stymie for the average amateur builder types.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I read somewhere, 40 years ago or more, that - pound for pound, plywood is stronger than steel. 1/4" ply is plenty strong enough, but effective joinery without introducing heavier frame components has always been the stymie for the average amateur builder types.
    A long time ago, in a life far, far, away, I used to install the nose cones on an obsolete ICBM. The nose cones were made of laminated sitka spruce, 7 layers to be exact.
    I think Derek will be fine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Refresh my memory. I have a Leigh jig. How do you make box joints with it?
    I'm guessing you just use straight bits in the router.
    Lowell, you use a straight bit and a special setup, but it works. You are limited to a few sizes if you don't add more templates. Someday...