Thread: Powermatic 27 shaper parts

Powermatic 27 shaper parts

Picked up a Powermatic 27 last night. It's more motor than I had wanted, but other than a 24 it was the only option out there. It came with a 3/4" spindle, but I was thinking that maybe I should pick up a 1.25" as well. Per the manual, there were a couple different types of spindles. Maybe some were changeable and others weren't? How can I figure out which one I have? Do I need to watch ebay for a spindle or would a Grizzly fit? I'll also be looking for some throat plates as it came with a ragged wood one. Again, would Grizzley parts fit?

I doubt if Grizzly parts will be a direct fit but it may be possible to modify them to work. Richard at A&E Tools sold modified Grizzly spindles for Delta shapers, but his web site is no longer working. Your best bet might be to go to OWWM and post an ad on the BOYD forum for used parts.

Is the 1.25" spindle a drop in? I thought only the 1/2 and 3/4 were interchangeable and the 1.25" was a solid spindle on all the 27s.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Is the 1.25" spindle a drop in? I thought only the 1/2 and 3/4 were interchangeable and the 1.25" was a solid spindle on all the 27s.
    The Super 27 was solid. So glad some poor amish folks came and bought it years ago. At least bearings were cheap an easy to change every 6 months.

Pretty sure you just swap out the whole quill assembly. It's two bolts and a mild pain.

I would put a 1¼ in it and leave it. (Until as Darcy pointed out, the tiny bearings crap the bed)

A ¾ spindle is pretty much useless in my book.

What did you pay for it out of curiosity? I've got two I'm going to sell soon as their task is going automated.

I used several 27's and they each had a solid quill assembly for each spindle size. They like to be stuck until you turn to get a dead blow then drop out and break the pulley assembly. So watch for that! Maybe some models were different? I'd be surprised if there's many 1 1/4" spindles around that don't come with a machine, but maybe. Might score a 1" spindle which is better than 3/4".
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    What did you pay for it out of curiosity? I've got two I'm going to sell soon as their task is going automated.
    $600. Unit is in pretty good shape with no table wear. It also has two table extensions.

Found a place this making new replacement spindles for the 26 and 27. Per their listing, there are two different types of spindles offered; tapered and straight shank. They're offering the straight version. I'll have to go and check my machine to see which one I have. https://shop.woodworkingmachineryser...?categoryId=-1 Unfortinatly, I can't find a 1.25" version. They do offer a router bit adapter though: https://shop.woodworkingmachineryser...aptor-PRBA.htm

I'd say skip the router bit adaptor, that machine doesn't spin fast to make proper use of router bits.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel