Thread: Purple Heart changing color

Blog Entries

Purple Heart changing color

After seeing the ‘idea’s for Christmas gifts’ thread, I thought I’d better get started on some cutting boards. One of the woods I chose was Purple Heart. I bought it rough sawn. After jointing two side the purple color was all but gone. After planing and cutting the last edge the boards had no purple left. Almost indistinguishable from the walnut I also bought.

The next day, the sides exposed to air (or light?) they were back to purple. I’m in Hawaii if that makes a difference.

Same thing, after glue up and planing. No color and it reappears the next day when I come
    home from work.

Anyone else experienced this? No complaints, just wondering.

yes, air and light do it every time. Eventually it will all turn brown
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

And once you oil it in a cutting board it turns a brownish color too. Yellow heart retains a golden look though.

This is freshly oiled with walnut on edges and purple and yellow heart through center. You can see a little purple tint but it gets more brown as the oil soaks in andmthe board ages.

p3085850464-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-25-2018 at 7:53 AM.

As said above, the purple heart will turn dark brown over time. Here’s a cutting board I made about 5 years ago out of purple heart and hard maple. The photo color is pretty true.

This is end grain. The long grain sides have retained a slightly purple hue, but still pretty much dark brown.
    63B0F33E-6F08-415E-BB75-5FA4012FA037.jpg

It's not at all unusual for a freshly cut/milled surface of any given species to look different than the same surface will after it oxidizes a bit and/or captures some UV. The effect obviously varies by species. Purple heart behaves as you note. Cherry turns darker. Walnut gets lighter. Osage orange starts out bright yellow but becomes a moderate brown. Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's typical for Purpleheart, brown when cut then turning purple. Unfortunately what you can look forward to is it slowly turning brown again, likely faster if unsealed and left in the light.

I've been told that some PH from Mexico is better. I did get a few 8/4 boards that were purple when cut into and so far have stayed purple. I have no idea if this came from Mexico but I'd sure like to find some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    After seeing the ‘idea’s for Christmas gifts’ thread, I thought I’d better get started on some cutting boards. One of the woods I chose was Purple Heart. I bought it rough sawn. After jointing two side the purple color was all but gone. After planing and cutting the last edge the boards had no purple left. Almost indistinguishable from the walnut I also bought.

The next day, the sides exposed to air (or light?) they were back to purple. I’m in Hawaii if that makes a difference.

Same thing, after glue up and planing. No color and it reappears the next day when I come
    home from work.

Anyone else experienced this? No complaints, just wondering.

I always chuckle a little when guys get all excited about that beautiful board of purple heart they picked up for some special project.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I always chuckle a little when guys get all excited about that beautiful board of purple heart they picked up for some special project.
    Many years ago a gentleman from South America told me he could not understand our fascination with perpleheart. He said where he lived the wood was used for floor joists and such.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...Cherry turns darker. Walnut gets lighter. Osage orange starts out bright yellow but becomes a moderate brown. Etc.
    A few days ago I picked up a piece I turned years ago from beautifully colored Cocobolo. It was so dark at first I thought it was Ebony.

If you want a wood to stay purple take Padauk and treat it with acid. I found this out by accident by using an acid catalyzed finish on Padauk. Its still a nice purple after 20 years.

This is a Christmas present. It will be beautiful on that day. Years later color is not so important.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Great example of bait 'n switch. They name it after an interesting color and a revered military medal, then sell it at a high price. To me, it's an ultimately drab looking wood that wears out cutters in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input. I knew beforehand the color would fade with time, just thought I was delusional with the drastic short term color changes.

They are gonna be Xmas gifts so, yes, I am corncerned mostly with what they look like at the time the are received.