Thread: Fuji HVLP Q5 - Gelcoat?

Fuji HVLP Q5 - Gelcoat?

I have a Q5 that I use for a lot of different things. My brother does alot of fiberglass work and likes my gun, but isnt sure it will be capable of spraying gelcoat finishes. He has an HVLP gun he runs on a compressor at 40psi and it works just fine. We are trying to determine the difference between a compressor powered HVLP and a turbine HVLP.

Will the Fuji work for this application?

To spray gelcoat, you have to thin it with Styrene. The biggest worry is it kicking while it's in the gun. I use an old Binks no.15 regular spray gun for small repairs, because it uses a leather gasket for the cup. I didn't want to experiment to see what other types of gaskets resist styrene.

There are two types of polyester gelcoat. One has wax in it that is supposed to float to the surface for curing, and the other type doesn't have the wax in it. You can spray a nicer finish with the non-waxed one, but you have to cover it with PVA for it to cure hard. It will kick, and cure without protecting it from the air, but it won't buff off very well. One of the disposable Preval sprayers is what most people, including me, use for the PVA. The PVA just washes off with soap and water before you wet sand it, and buff it. You can get a high shine if you cover it with PVA, but not without. Without wax, but covered with PVA also feathers out better to blend in with old better.

Don't even think about spraying it without styrene. I'd buy one of the cheap HVLP guns off ebay, and if it gets clogged, just toss it, but that's actually what I bought the 15 for, back when I was a teenager in the late '60's. For small areas, the Preval sprayer will even spray gelcoat thinned with styrene.

I don't know that either type of HVLP sprayer would be better than the other, but I wouldn't spend money on a turbine if he is already getting good results with a conversion gun.

I had a sailboat dealership, back in the '80's, and did repairs all the time. The best tool I had was a strong air conditioner in that shop. I'd cool it down in the low to mid sixties for layup, and then turn it back up when I was done for it to cure.

Thinking about using a turbine for a problem discussed in another thread, another reason not to use a turbine for gelcoat would be added heat from the turbine air. Any added heat at all is not a good thing for gelcoat.