Thread: How to clean lacquered wood surface?

How to clean lacquered wood surface?

I built two speaker stands for my grandson. Ash, dyed black using TransTint in alcohol, then a coat of Minwax Ebony stain. Top coated with three coats of (rattle can) spray on Deft satin lacquer.

I shipped them to him knocked down (Ikea style) and he has them assembled and send back a picture. I can see residue from blue painters tape I used to identify the parts on the top front edge of the one on the right.
    Untitled.jpg
    Any advice for what to use to remove tape goo that will not damage the lacquer finish?

Thank you,

Tom

Just in case anyone else ever has the same question, here's an answer.

I called Deft today. The tech expert said on a cured surface wipe lightly with a soft rag with Goo Gone. Don't pour it on, don't let it puddle up. Wipe on, wipe off.

Blog Entries
    I was going to recommend Johnson paste wax. The nice thing about Deft is he can lightly sand or use 0000 steel wool on the area if needed and apply another coat. It will bond perfectly with the existing finish.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would have used a little mineral spirits on a paper towel.

+1 for mineral spirits. It's almost always a safe bet and I can verify that it removes the residue from tape, stickers, etc.

One thing to add is to be careful how much you rub the surface to be cleaned. If you get too ambitious, even with a very soft cloth, it's easy to change the sheen of the underlying finish, especially on low sheen finishes, and then you end up with another problem that's even more difficult to resolve.

John

Thanks gentlemen, I sent him your suggestions. I'll report back if I hear any results.