Thread: Fastening Table Top?

Fastening Table Top?

I'm building a simple bedside table with drawer and I'm trying to figure out how I want to fasten the table top. I know I could use fabricated hold-downs that fit into a groove in the sides and back of the base into the table top. I could also use the more modern swivel type fasteners that look like figure 8s. How would you fasten the top, still keeping it on the traditional side?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 09-24-2018 at 6:22 PM.

I would use the metal Z fasteners, similar to the wooden fabricated hold downs you mention.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 09-25-2018 at 8:13 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I just did a search and found that I can use Domino buttons, like the Z fasteners, but made with Dominos and wood blocks. Never thought of that.

The groove hold-downs are quick and easy to fabricate. I actually wasn't familiar with the "figure eight" fasteners and had to just watch a video to see what they were. I didn't like the end grain screws used to fasten them. And the idea that they need to be loose enough to move sideways ... not so comfortable with that.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I always build in a frame at the top edge of the casework and use washer head screws through slotted holes to fasten the top. That's just my preferred method. I don't really think it matters much as long as you keep one thing in mind; when one is moving the finished piece what is the first place you grab, the edge of the top. Make sure what ever method you use that it is strong enough to support the weight of the finished piece. Never used them, but I wonder about the strength of those figure 8 thingys when lifting the edges.

Blog Entries
    Where are you located?

I use the Z fasteners when the table does not have a drawer. With a drawer, I screw through the kickers with an elogated slot.

Z-fasteners from Lee Valley. Simple, easy, cheap.

Figure 8s. Fast and easy.

Long screws allowed to flex

I've used all the methods listed except z clips (no reason, just never tried them) and they all work fine. Pick whichever is easiest for your application; they are all pretty traditional, at least for the last century or so.