Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me furniture that looks totally hand made

Show me furniture that looks totally hand made

I'm getting really interested in building things, especially shaker style furniture. It doesn't help that my wife was in my shop today and said "so, when did you get all these planer things?" Uh oh... I told her "I only have about 10. You should see some of the other guys!

The more I learn about designing and building furniture, the more I am drawn to traditional construction methods and styles and I am interested in seeing stuff you guys have made using mostly hand tools. I don't have a problem being a purist-I don't have the patience to take rough lumber to workable size using the table saw, jointer and planer, but from that point forward, I'd just like to see stuff that appears to be produced in a traditional heirloom way. When I post questions about furniture examples elsewhere, I end up getting posts of things obviously made with dovetail jigs, modern drawer slides exposed, etc. and short of seeing pictures of peoples tool cabinets I don't think I've seen any posts of actual projects made by hand very often. When I saw Martin's shaker inspired try it really motivated me to make one of my own and now that I have, I want to keep going...

Boy did you come to the right place Paul. May I direct you to the Neanderthal Forum.....More of what you're after than you can shake a stick at!! (I can shake a stick at quite a lot!! ) Beautiful and wonderous things in there by some of the finest craftsmen I've ever seen.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

3. Hey Paul,
    check out my post of a mantle clock in the forum. 95% done with hand tools. If I can get my hands on a decent set of hollow and rounds, plus a few other molding planes, I'll be set.
    Enjoy the creek, theres a ton of info here

Best,

Dave S

I can suggest two resourses. Mike Dunbar's book. "Building a Windsor Chair" which is a very inspirational book. Another is "Make a Chair From a Tree" . Aurthor, John Alexander. The book is out of print, but it is avaible on video tape or used on amazon.
    Chairs are great handmade projects.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 11-26-2005 at 5:29 PM.

5. Paul,

With my furniture, I use power tools only to a point, and then take over from there with hand tools. I feel that the result is a piece that could not be distinguished from one made only with hand tools. For an example please go to http://home.woh.rr.com/federalfurniture/

Rob Millard

My Newport Kneehole Desk was almost enitrely handmade. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19366

As Rob points out, many of the 18th and early 19th Century pieces made today are heavily influenced by the use of hand tools.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Rob, Where are you located?

I see from your link that you are somewhere in western Ohio. I'm in Elida, just outside of Lima.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Millard
    Paul,

With my furniture, I use power tools only to a point, and then take over from there with hand tools. I feel that the result is a piece that could not be distinguished from one made only with hand tools. For an example please go to http://home.woh.rr.com/federalfurniture/

Rob Millard
    Man Rob, that is simply awesome. I skimmed over your article because I'm taking care of my 3 yr old right this moment, but I'm looking forward to reading it again after printing it out. You're my hero

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    My Newport Kneehole Desk was almost enitrely handmade. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19366

As Rob points out, many of the 18th and early 19th Century pieces made today are heavily influenced by the use of hand tools.
    Beautiful and inspirational work. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a firm beliver in learnig first the manual ( hand ) method of doing, before going to the power tool. Give one a better understanding of the process and desired results. Once I learn a skill that way, I want to plug it in. Through history craftsmen have allways used the latest technology, time has always related to $$.
    I'm reminded of the story of when the first Queenanne chair was designed and made. The lady went storming into the woodworkers shop demanding, why has it taken 2 years to make her chairs. He looked her right in the eye and stated the they would have been done, but they keep having a problem finding a place to plug in their Poter Cable router.

Allan, that is totally beautiful, you should br very very proud of you acomplishment.
    Roger

Robb, Alan,

My goodness, It's a good thing I don't make furniture, I'd have to quit!! Great looking pieces.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I have a bunch of heavy machines, but it is the hand work that to me is the most satisfying.

Right now I am resizing what I was told by my clients was a late 18th Cen. piece, a table with three drawers, to fit in a place in thier home. I tried to talk them out of destroying this piece's integrity, but that is what they want. Anyway, I need to lessen the width by 10", and lessen the depth by 8". What this means is that I need to recut all of the aprons and the associated tenons. Well, that would not be difficult if it were a square piece, but there is not a straight board in this piece. For example, the front apron, wihch is really two rails, sags about 1.25" in the center. There is no way to put a machine on this work, so out with the tenon saw and start recutting tenons. It is of hard maple, incredibly wormy. The fine dust, even from the hand work, is amazing. I have never worked on a piece of this age, and it is quite interesting. I am just about done with the structure, and next will fight with the clients about the drawers. They want me to just shorten them and make them narrower to fit the resized openings, but my strong preference is to use the third plank that I removed from the top, and make 2 new outside drawers. At present, the drawers are so poorly made that they are just rebated and nailed. Since I love making drawers, I would prefer to make new ones of the old wood. We'll see if I win this argument, but I am not holding my breath.

Take the time to learn the handtools and your satisfaction from the craft will increase, at least in my humble view.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    I have a bunch of heavy machines, but it is the hand work that to me is the most satisfying.

Right now I am resizing what I was told by my clients was a late 18th Cen. piece, a table with three drawers, to fit in a place in thier home. I tried to talk them out of destroying this piece's integrity, but that is what they want. Anyway, I need to lessen the width by 10", and lessen the depth by 8". What this means is that I need to recut all of the aprons and the associated tenons. Well, that would not be difficult if it were a square piece, but there is not a straight board in this piece. For example, the front apron, wihch is really two rails, sags about 1.25" in the center. There is no way to put a machine on this work, so out with the tenon saw and start recutting tenons. It is of hard maple, incredibly wormy. The fine dust, even from the hand work, is amazing. I have never worked on a piece of this age, and it is quite interesting. I am just about done with the structure, and next will fight with the clients about the drawers. They want me to just shorten them and make them narrower to fit the resized openings, but my strong preference is to use the third plank that I removed from the top, and make 2 new outside drawers. At present, the drawers are so poorly made that they are just rebated and nailed. Since I love making drawers, I would prefer to make new ones of the old wood. We'll see if I win this argument, but I am not holding my breath.

Take the time to learn the handtools and your satisfaction from the craft will increase, at least in my humble view.
    Oh my gosh... how...depressing. These clients would be better off resizing their house instead of changing a piece of history.

Many have already posted much good info....

Here is my one tip to this thread. Use a scrub plane, such as the one from LN, to dress all surfaces which face inside to your work item. Leave this to almost the end so you can get all your precision joinery and exterior surfaces done prior to glue up. Lastly, use the scrub plane to dress all interior surfaces. After all, how many really nice orig. items used 4 knife, carbide tipped planers to dress the interior surfaces?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

15. I'm glad you liked the article. I will be replacing the chest on frame article with one on making an inlaid tea caddy in couple of weeks, so be sure to print it out if you want to be able to refer back to it.

Rob Millard