Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tapering-table saw jig or jointer?

I use a jig on the table saw. Keep in mind, if you plan to taper all 4 sides, the jig will need to have the ability to adjust, or you will need two jigs. Meaning, if you need to taper a side that already has a taper cut on the opposite side, the jig will need to adjust to a account for the reference side taper. Hope that makes sense.

I've made an adjustable tapering jig that I've used for years. Was taking it off the wall and dropped it down the stair and it did not survive. Since I have quite a few tapers in the near future I bought a Powertech jig, that locks up tight and seems to work well. I put some UHMW tape on the bottom of the aluminum and it moves very easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Making a taper jig for the table saw is awfully easy.
    Too true. If you want multiple faces tapered and don't want to bother with taping cut-offs back on to create a reference surface, a center pin version works well. Doesn't have to be this involved but, this one is variable for a wider array of use.
    Taper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (5).jpg . Taper Jig 2.0 pin assembly detail (4).jpg . Taper Jig (13).jpg

Taper Jig (15).jpg . Taper Jig (17).jpg

I also use it for a straight line sled to get an initial reference edge on rough stock.

Taper Jig (18).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-25-2018 at 8:56 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've never used the "folding" kind. Mine is a simple sled, like Lee mentioned. Took me less than an hour to throw together, and I'm really not that experienced. Just looked at several ideas online.

As always, Glenn B. the JigMeister, is on it. That's a nice one.

Blog Entries
    I always use the table saw.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I always used to do tapers on the table saw...until I watched this video, https://youtu.be/nZTXvsrzbSQ. Seriously so easy.