Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tapering-table saw jig or jointer?

Tapering-table saw jig or jointer?

So, I am thinking trying to taper the legs on a hall table I am going to build.

This will be my first attempt at tapering...what is the hive mind consensus on tapering--table saw jig or using the jointer?

Is one safer than the other?

Band saw and plane, nothing more needed.

If I wanted to make a jig for something I would make one to cut the taper on the table saw and finish with a swipe or 2 of a plane.........Rod.

I've never felt safe using a taper jig on the table saw or trying to taper on the jointer, and the jointer results have been inconsistent. I now use Rod's method, or the band saw and then my edge sander, or, sometimes, just the edge sander sanding to a line.

Making a taper jig for the table saw is awfully easy.

Todd
    The few times I've tapered, I've cut the legs with the bandsaw, planed to a line with the jointer and finished with a low angle #4 I have.
    By the time you get done making a taper jig for a table saw, you can be done with the band saw and jointer phase.
    If you have a lot of them to do, then I would make the taper jig for the table saw.

I don't know that any one method is safer than another.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I've never felt safe using a taper jig on the table saw or trying to taper on the jointer, and the jointer results have been inconsistent. I now use Rod's method, or the band saw and then my edge sander, or, sometimes, just the edge sander sanding to a line.
    Dave, what is it that makes you feel unsafe doing it with the table saw?

Personal preference. I've used table saw, jointer, band saw and even a router table a few times. I prefer the band saw or table saw, for both speed and the ability to keep the offcuts for shims/wedges and to keep from having too little useless scrap!!
    earl

I have done several on the table saw. I never took the time to make a proper jig. I usually just make something on the fly. There are lots of good plans out there. There are some ready made jigs available that are good reference too. I usually make mine a sled arrangement with a clamp to hold them. I also clean them up with a hand plane as mentioned above.

I don't know that any particular method is best - its really up to you and what you have and like to use. Tapering can get confusing! Make sure you mark the right sides and don't taper the parts you don't want to! Also, using a sled will allow you to sneak up on the point where the taper stops relative to the top of the leg/bottom of the skirt.

Tony

I hate spending time on jigs, so i cut 1/16" heavy to a line at the bandsaw and finish with one pass at the jointer. Using this method you can cut a clean and consistent taper in 45 seconds. I havent had to cut a taper since owning a slider, but it should be pretty easy to do with a FF jig.

I'm with Nick that making a jig for the tablesaw is easy and can be used for all eight cuts very quickly. I've seen folks do it on the jointer but never felt comfortable doing it that way ... both from a safety and repeatability perspective. A bandsaw works but – at least to my mind – there is more opportunity for an error, thus repeatability is compromised. As usual in woodworking ... there is more than one way to accomplish the same task.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Dave, what is it that makes you feel unsafe doing it with the table saw?
    Just something about using a folding jig on a decreasing thickness rip cut. That, and getting the jig all set up, making test cuts, etc. Just easier to strike a line on the stock and bandsaw it off.

Jig on the tablesaw. Do not bother to make it very adjustable. make it for one angle only.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Just something about using a folding jig on a decreasing thickness rip cut. That, and getting the jig all set up, making test cuts, etc. Just easier to strike a line on the stock and bandsaw it off.
    Folding? Not mine. Also, no test cuts. The edge of the jig is exactly where the taper cut is made. With a good rip blade, I haven't found planing necessary, maybe a little finish sanding.

I cut the taper on the band saw and finish them all at once with a simple sled and thickness sander.

Blog Entries
    When I cut tapers on my table saw I use a sled instead of a tapering jig. I stick the piece being cut to it with double sided tape. Some people use toggle clamps to hold down the work piece. A sled is much safer than the hinged type tapering jigs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute