Thread: Planer Advice needed

Planer Advice needed

I'm fairly new to woodworking, but feel confident in my abilities.

I currently have a Dewalt 735 with the Byrd Shelix cutter head. It produces good results, although board to board, it's not 100% accurate.

Now with that said, I am running 10ft lengths of 5/4 Basswood through it.

I'm making Planation shutters for about 12 windows in my house, so am planing a lot of rough sawn 5/4. I've run about 1000ft through it so far and it is so and tedious as most of the boards are 8" to 11" wide so I have to make multiple passes before i get a good surface.

I got permission from the wife to replace it. My budget is around $4K and I'm not really that interested in trying to find a used unit.

With my limited exposure to this hobby, I've been looking at Powermatic, Jet and Grizzly, although after doing a bit of reading, Hammer seems popular on here, but I can't find any pricing, so I don't know if that fits into my budget.

So far my #1 is the Jet 208 20" with helix cutter head, #2 is the Powermatic 15HH, the Powermatic 20" is $1000 more than the Jet, so is out of my price range.

I would really like the extra width capacity.

Whatever I buy, it will have a helix style cutter head.

Not that this makes a huge difference, but Powermatic/Jet are headquartered about 10 miles from where I live.

I do have 230V single phase in my garage.

Also, whatever machine I buy, it will be on a mobile base.

Thanks

Chris Have you looked at Woodmaster. There made in Kansas City. I have the 18'' planer-sander and it works great for me. Good Luck Mike O'Keefe

I spoke to a sales person from Felder about the A3-31. Delivered it's about $5K with the options I would like.

That puts it in the same ball park as the Powermatic 20"HH with the helix cutter head.

There are pro's and con's, for me, regarding the A3-31, pro's; I can get a 12" jointer and can get rid of my Jet 6" and consolidate two tools into one, saving space. Con's: I give up a 20" planing capacity, which I really don't think I would use that much. With either of these choices my budget needs to stretch another $1000, which is doable, just not sure it's justified.

I can put in another good word for the Woodmaster units, tried and true design and Made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    My budget is around $4K and I'm not really that interested in trying to find a used unit.
    Why? You can get so much more machine with that budget if you go used.

How much amperage is available? I'm partial to SAC on the used market as they are usually priced pretty reasonably and have a great build. Will be tersa ( a plus ) and Three phase ( short term negative, long term positive ). Basswood is pretty soft but 5 hp is generally pretty minimal for a 20+" planer unless the feed is driven off a separate motor which is fairly rare now. Dave

Sorry about the used advice but I'm with Martin. Used planers are a good buy. Even a used 15" Delta type DC 380 at about 1000 is decent. 4K buys a true industrial unit if you have the power and dust collection to run it. If not, the 380 and a Shelix head will still be under 2K.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 09-24-2018 at 8:17 PM.

There's a 24" SAC on Woodweb for $4k.

That's a kick ass planer.

Everyone has to make the best decision they can at the time they make it. But if I were you I would try to buy used first.

With a budget of $4000 you can buy a used Minimax, Felder or Hammer jointer/planer of at least 12", 14 on an older Minimax, and possibly a 16" Minimax. And any of those machines will be so much better than what you have and probably last you for many, many years, maybe the rest of your life.

The Shelix head should not be your first consideration, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    There's a 24" SAC on Woodweb for $4k.

That's a kick ass planer.

I have the 20" SAC 530 and new it would be in the 12K range in build. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I have the 20" SAC 530 and new it would be in the 12K range in build. Dave
    I think my 24" Format4 is close to $20k new. That SAC is a way better unit than the Felder

Im looking for a used Dewalt 735, Chris, if you decide to get rid of yours

When I do replace it, the DeWalt will come with my flip top stand. I have the indeed and outfield tables as well as the Wixey depth gauge.

I bought a Hammer A3-31, should arrive next week.

Well, that was quick!

Report back and let us know how you like it. Several people on SMC seem to have bought one in the last few weeks.