Thread: Attaching Railing Post to Glulam Beam (LVL beam)

Attaching Railing Post to Glulam Beam (LVL beam)

I am wondering how to connect a 4x4 railing post to a massive glulam beam that spans my shop? The glulam beam currently supports a loft space in the shop, but I need to put in a safety railing. My first thought was to use lag screws drilled through the 4x4 railing posts and into the glulam beam....then someone told me that you really aren't supposed to be drilling holes into this type of beam.

So I am thinking there is a specific Simpson Strongtie bracket I need for this situation, but I don't know much more than that! The railing I am building is 4x4 posts spanning 6 feet on center with a 2x4 top rail and 2 2x4 intermittent rails. Also wondering what type of screws to use with the bracket - 2 inch deck screws?

On the stairs leading up there Its just regular pine, but I am assuming I can use the same Simpson brackets there too maybe.

Here's a photo of the space, loft is the area in the upper left:
    2018-06-29 15.19.08.jpg

Thanks!
    Last edited by Evan Lentz; 09-24-2018 at 1:07 AM.

These are made for what you’re doing; https://www.fastenmaster.com/product...ng-system.html

Hard to see an issue running some lag bolts into a beam that size.

I also do not believe that the relatively small fasteners that you would use for this purpose would compromise that stout beam, no matter what method you choose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can not post link but Boise has a "glulam allowable hole chart".
    Any Simpson bracket will have a sheet showing required fasteners. Personally for a railing I prefer through bolts over any wood threads. Wood threads will loosen over time with constant shaking.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    RAMPA connectors can be used in Glulam beams for heavy loads that wouldn't be allowed with lag bolts. www.rampa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I can not post link but Boise has a "glulam allowable hole chart". .
    As long as it's not a forum post somewhere, you can post the link.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    These are made for what you’re doing; https://www.fastenmaster.com/product...ng-system.html
    Those ThruLoks look pretty good - but I only see them going up to 8.5" length. If I use 4x4 posts plus the beam depth, it'll be 10 inches of wood.
    Maybe I will go the lag screw method, and carriage bolts where I can drill all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I can not post link but Boise has a "glulam allowable hole chart".
    Any Simpson bracket will have a sheet showing required fasteners. Personally for a railing I prefer through bolts over any wood threads. Wood threads will loosen over time with constant shaking.
    Bill D.
    I found that chart online - looks like the rules only apply to holes drilled for plumbing and electrical. I guess that means bolts for me

Blog Entries
    Several products on the market that replace traditional lag screws with smaller diameter high strength no-drill-first washer headed screws. Spax and GRX to mention two. Here is a 3/8" x 6" Spax: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-3-8...1527/202041049
    NOW you tell me...