Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

24 Sep 2018

Greetings,
    Well, we aren't overly dry any longer with all the rain we've been getting. I put a pork loin in the smoker this weekend and we ate well yesterday. I'm really enjoying smoking meat with this electric smoker! The LOML and I are still working out at the gym and eating on the Mediterranean Diet. I'm feeling much better and my hope is to break this stale mate I have with where my weight it right now, as I've been at this weight for about a month. Maybe it's time to change it up a bit.
    Temps are cooling down and I'm anxious to get back in the shop and do some woodworking again.

I hope all of you are doing well and that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hi Dennis, I made a shaper jig for the shaper seminar next weekend and I installed all the wiring for the low voltage landscape lighting.......Glad you're enjoying your smoker...Rod.

I drove to VA to do a couple of woodturning demos. Good clean fun!

I'm glad you're enjoying that smoker, Dennis!

Busy week for me...finished up a commission for some equestrian jump standards for a small, local private farm, started cutting test prototypes for some chair seats I'll be making for another craftsman and doing the design/toolpath work for a quickie little template project for another woodworker that I'll get cut today or tomorrow. The chair seats are an interesting process, going from a 3D scan of an existing hand-made seat to digital representation and toolpathing. Cutting either side is easy; the fun is getting both sides done with the final thickness spot on. You do the math, (yea, algebra involved LOL) but in the end massaging things to get a consistent production process requires cutting things multiple times. As my FB friends read...this is a process somewhat like watching paint dry. Test prototypes require you to watch things closely which is terribly exciting. At least with production, you can be working on something else nearby.

This week is more of the same plus getting a couple of quotes out.

The completed commission...

IMG_2457.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rod where do you do shaper seminars ? I am interested in being part of a seminar. Mike.

Lynndy and I spent a long weekend in Sydney visiting our son, Jamie, and his girlfriend, Lauren. They moved there 3 months ago - new city, new jobs, and new home. I've made several pieces of furniture for Jamie in the past, which he had taken with them, but they are woefully short on so much. He asked for a coffee table (his priority!), and I made one that I could break down and take on the plane with us to surprise them. Nothing elaborate. Just a simple, clean design.

The design (with a few tweaks) was one of Ishitani, a Japanese furniture maker (catch him on YouTube. Here it is in our home for a photo. In Hard Maple ...

One reason for this design lies underneath ...

The legs can come be taken off to create a flat pack. I added hex head bolts near the base of the legs. These fit into metal inserts to add strength, as well as make it easier when they again move.

The final picture was taken in their apartment ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice Derek, thanks for posting that................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Rod where do you do shaper seminars ? I am interested in being part of a seminar. Mike.
    Felder Canada in Toronto, a fair hike from home for you Mike...............Rod.

Been working on a Federal Style table...my first attemp at stringing down the legs, cuff banding, and banding around the aprons and legs. A good number of hours over the weekend with a pair of magnifying lenses and tiny inlay.

Took a break here and there to watch Michigan actually look like a decent football team, and who would have guessed...the Lions beat New England. Kind of a weekend of firsts

Besides woodwork? Cleaning up the back yard of Creeping Charlie - centimetre by centimetre! Following up with grass seed.
    Tomorrow it's time to get serious about leafs, pulling weeds and seeding the front.
    I'm not the most enthusiastic gardener.
    We had: Jewish New Year (eating) Yom Kippur (no eating) and festival of tabernacles (more eating); sawbones told me to loose 10 - 15 lbs, so right sizing portions.
    I built a custom standing book rest for all these "festivities", 'cause there's a LOT of standing - which has generated an interest me building a few for other parishioners, including one for a friend who has age and wrist issues, so he needs one while sitting.
    I'll be posting pics. here within a few days.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Love the table Derek! And ditto for the Ishitani furniture channel on YouTube. Great woodworking videos! No talking. Just woodworking. And he has wonderful designs. It’s fun to watch a skilled Japanese furniture maker create.

Aaron, sounds like you need to make a dual purpose stand. One way it is for books, and one way it is for plates.

I too was doing a bit of weeding. And yard work. Amongst the swatting of mosquitoes. They were so thick, they would swarm as soon as I slowed down for the turn on the mower.

I also hung up the small cabinet I was making (for the last 8-9 months) to hold my band saw blades and accessories.