Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Rabbit Laser(:

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Iowa USA
    Posts
    3,386
    I just wanted to add, most controllers have diagrams published either on their website or on a venders. Not anymore complex than finding the controller brand and part number. Don't forget when troubleshooting Chinese equipment the equipment Ground is not always 100% connected to the machine. So if its 240 volts check line to line not to ground. If its a 120 volts, LN or Hot to Neutral or grounded conductor. I taught the same thing I posted above, a visual check for loose or burnt wires will find a lot of issues. We used the KISS rule, and always do the simple stuff first. Power and then visual.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , LightObject 40w CO2 Laser and Chiller, MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Fine Line Automation 4x4 CNC Router- Mach4 ESS

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    Thanks to all for the input. Friday I went out with a clean mind and found........the tape we used to see if the laser was firing was touching the mirror so the mirror was covered in glue. My bad, do not pass go and do not collect $100. I cleaned the lens and the machine worked fine until about 4:45 when it just stopped. No fuse blown, power conditioner fine, etc just would not turn on. I walked away. Went out yesterday morning checked the obvious things tech support suggested nothing helped then it did? Then it stopped again. I went through the same routine and then it worked fine for 3-4 hours. The only questionable thing I encountered is that when I removed the fuse holder the fuse didn't stay in the spring loaded clip and I had to dig fuse out and put it back in the clip to install. So we'll see what happens today. I swear I'm not making this up!

  3. #18
    Intermittent bad connection, and quite possibly that fuse--

    short story- my old V5000 tool machine was giving me fits for a couple of years, mostly in the form of the stepper motors changing positons, the Z stepper would change in use, the X stepper would change while sitting idle. It would engrave fine for the most part, but I'd have to keep an eye on the Z stepper as it kept moving lower. Then one day the machine just quit. I pulled the parallel cable, then grabbed the power cord- when I did, the plastic enclosure(?) that supported the male plug prongs, literally disintegrated! 2 of the 3 prongs stayed in the cord while pieces of black plastic crumbled...

    The last time (or 2 or 3) I plugged the cord in, it was pushing 2 of the male plugs backwards thru the plastic housing! So those 2 wires were barely making contact, but just enough for the machine to run, sorta -- since I rewired a new male plug in place, all the stepper nonsense has stopped, and it's run like new ever since --

    Ergo-- loose fuse, intermittent black-out, and the fact you've used the word 'fuse' quite often in this thread, it all kinda fits together...

    Not sure whereabouts this fuse is, but if there's some way to bypass it and you're okay with soldering, you might consider wiring in an inline fuse. Using alligator clips on the inline fuse wiring and clipping them in place of the current fuse would be temporary way to test- just be sure the clips aren't near any other metal
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    Good idea....The fuse holder is built into the input receptacle. Simple enough to solder a fuse in line......I'm going to give it a couple more days. There's no point is asking Ray to visit a laser which is working, LOL, so we'll just give it some time I guess. Life sure is a funny thing,,,,,,

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Iowa USA
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    Good idea....The fuse holder is built into the input receptacle. Simple enough to solder a fuse in line......I'm going to give it a couple more days. There's no point is asking Ray to visit a laser which is working, LOL, so we'll just give it some time I guess. Life sure is a funny thing,,,,,,
    I do not think an in line fuse holder is legal or safe on Line voltage. Frankly I would temp wire for now and bypass that fuse all together and what rating is it? For permanent you can buy a metal handy box, and put a SSU fuse holder in that with the same size fuse. Put cord connectors or strain reliefs on where needed.


    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...9aACCDY&adurl=
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-30-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa. , LightObject 40w CO2 Laser and Chiller, MakerGear M2 3D Printer. Fine Line Automation 4x4 CNC Router- Mach4 ESS

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    Thanks for the in put. I used the machine again yesterday without incident. Hoping that continues. I've started a log of "incidents" so I can go back and look over time and maybe detect a pattern. I know operator error is always a possibility as well so we'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I do not think an in line fuse holder is legal or safe on Line voltage. Frankly I would temp wire for now and bypass that fuse all together and what rating is it? For permanent you can buy a metal handy box, and put a SSU fuse holder in that with the same size fuse. Put cord connectors or strain reliefs on where needed.


    https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...9aACCDY&adurl=

  7. #22
    Just as some closure to this. Steve checked out his laser machine and was able to get the power turned back on. The issue was a fuse, a faulty power connection at the power cord entry into the laser machine.. and some other minor issue he solved. I doubt these problems could have been solved without being at the laser machine. Steve then found he had a good bit of power laser from the laser.... It was a spot of gunk that had flipped onto the lens. I believe that Steve has his laser up and running fine now. I had scheduled to visit Steve, but he cancelled the visit with " ... everything is working fine now." If he needs help in the future.. I am sure we will all be there to help him.

    Thank You,
    Ray Scott
    Ray Scott
    Owner/Engineer at Rabbit Laser USA


    Advice... Never use your tongue as a multimeter.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    And I thank you for your patience Ray!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Scott View Post
    Just as some closure to this. Steve checked out his laser machine and was able to get the power turned back on. The issue was a fuse, a faulty power connection at the power cord entry into the laser machine.. and some other minor issue he solved. I doubt these problems could have been solved without being at the laser machine. Steve then found he had a good bit of power laser from the laser.... It was a spot of gunk that had flipped onto the lens. I believe that Steve has his laser up and running fine now. I had scheduled to visit Steve, but he cancelled the visit with " ... everything is working fine now." If he needs help in the future.. I am sure we will all be there to help him.

    Thank You,
    Ray Scott

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,022
    Ray and Carol are the greatest, they both have helped me a couple times when I had a problem
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

    10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    I want to thank everyone for the input. As you know I'm a total newby and do not have a tech background. Naturally enough when i had laser problems I panicked Just a fact. Moving down the road .....the machine has worked well for the last week or more! Ray and Rabbit Laser support did everything they could on their end and somehow I did a little bit as well! The best part of the story is I've been able to dig into the software and figure out how to do some really cool stuff...........considering I'm a newby. LOL

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,022
    Awesome and hope you have many have days of engraving ahead
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

    10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    214
    Just a quick update. The Rabbit laser is running predictably and Ray checked in a few days ago to ask if I needed anything. I really appreciated that The software, both Corel and RD Works, are both still a challenge but I seem to learn at least one thing new each day and sometimes I remember it the next day so all is good.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •