Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spraying water on wood for grip

Spraying water on wood for grip

I just saw a video "Masterclass" by an Australian Steve Hay. He sprays water on the vise's wooden jaws before he clamps a board in it. He does the same when he uses the holdfast, spraying a mist on the wood and the bench top.

Do you have such a practice to raise the grain for a better grip or know someone who does like him?

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-22-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    My practice is to not even put a coffee cup or other beverage on my bench for fear of getting unwanted liquid on the surface.

My vise, holdfasts and other devices hold well enough without spraying water on things.

My issue is trying to keep moisture out of the shop when there is a rainforest less than 200 miles north of me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use thin suede leather glued to my vise chops and the gripping surface of my holdfasts and have no slipping problems. Seems easier to do the work of fitting the leather one time than having to mist water every time. Not saying it won't work, just not for me.
    David

Blog Entries
    Another leather on the vise chop here. I have seen videos where people spray water on a board and then just set it on the bench to work. We do have a wide variety of reasonable work holding doo-jobbers available but, whatever floats yer boat.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I do what my dad did before grabbing something slippery or heavy for grip. Spit on my hands. Does that count?

Of course. This is the Neanderthal Forum and the old ways rule in all aspects. Expect in the case of chainsaw vs felling axe.
    David

The water is an idea, but I flatten my bench top with a toothed blade in a 5-1/2, and just leave it that way, for a bit of texture. Personally I would not want the water around my planes.

I use leather, or cork to line vises. For holdfasts, I use a piece of friction tape on the pads.
    The water seems to be an odd solution to an easy problem, not to mention an action that you would have to do repeatedly rather than just setting and forgetting.

I’m considering adding leather to my tail vice jaw and possibly the bench face it mates with. Any suggestions on adhesives that would be reversable or easily removable when the leather requires renewal?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    I’m considering adding leather to my tail vice jaw and possibly the bench face it mates with. Any suggestions on adhesives that would be reversable or easily removable when the leather requires renewal?
    Joe
    3M spray adhesive or the like (I don't like the contact cement stuff).

Simon

I tried some 3M spray adhesive on a face vise, but the leather did not stay after some use. I readily admit that are various 3M products and I did not research to see what might be best for the application. I went back to a new little bottle of the old time contact cement (the kind used for Formica glueing years ago) but the leather has held perfectly on all my vises and the bottoms of my holdfast "feet".
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I tried some 3M spray adhesive on a face vise, but the leather did not stay after some use. I readily admit that are various 3M products and I did not research to see what might be best for the application. I went back to a new little bottle of the old time contact cement (the kind used for Formica glueing years ago) but the leather has held perfectly on all my vises and the bottoms of my holdfast "feet".
    I just used the regular 3M stuff, and it was sprayed on the smooth sides, not the rough sides. The temperature and humidity swings in my shop have not caused the leather to come apart...it must have been 6 or 7 years since the jaws were leather-padded.

Simon

And way faster/easier/cleaner than using the contact cement I use I bet. I tried to go that way but probably got the wrong 3M product.
    David

14. I used liquid hide glue for mine. It worked well, and somehow seems appropriate.

I have used water to help hold sandpaper flat and in place on the bench when I want to bring a small piece to the paper. So I understand and appreciate the idea. Never needed it when using a vise, clamp or holdfast. Maybe he works with slippery woods on a slippery bench??