Thread: QR Code issues

QR Code issues

I had a customer on one of my medical alert bracelets that wanted a lot of info on the bracelet, couldn't fit anywhere near all the text so I offered a QR code. I've done a few before but not this much info and they seemed to work. Any suggestions? Scanning the code enlarged off the computer screen works fine, after engraving the phone finds "nothing".

IMG_2923.jpg
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

My guess is too much QR code to fit too, I'm assuming Cermark? In looking at the pic it appears the digital 'pong' dots are overlapping one another. A fiber could probably pull that off that small, but a C02 & Cermark is asking a lot
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Evidently, yes, Cermark and a CO2. I had done one before, and it worked, but had used a free QR code generator instead of using the built-in QR generator in Corel. Do all QR code generators create the same code? No variations? I seem to remember it being bigger blocks and spaces, this one does look like a blob all run together....
    Brian Lamb

The more info, the smaller the blocks-- it all takes up space
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I think it might be contrast. Scanners need sufficient contrast to read the code. Not all substrates will work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Not the contrast. I've done some on pretty junky surfaces, mainly with my fiber, but some with cermark. It is way too much information and as you see, the dots are not distinct. I'd either trash that one, or sand it off and cut information down by half. and try again. Engrave on a scrap first. I put my company name, web address, actual address and phone on mine, and it is pretty complex. Really made for maybe 36-48 characters. Not paragraphs.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

While drinking my late morning coffee I thought I'd mess around a bit--

I took a 1" x 3" SS ID plate and see how small I could make readable with what equipment I have. Also, because part of the issue here is 'too many words', I used a font called Steelfish, it's extremely compressed yet very readable. Whenever someone wants too many words, it's my go-to font

top left is what I was able to pull off with my 30w GCC and Cermark. My LS900's CPU is in the shop, and would've done a noticeably better job because it produced a much smaller beam spot than the GCC. The letter heights range from .090" on top to .050" on the 5th row. Below the 5th Cermark row I did rows 3,4 and 5 with the fiber. Big difference! However, the 3 rows done by the fiber revealed a 'wobble' issue I need to look at. So I changed up the hatch routine a bit and ran the bottom 2 lines again, plus a 3 row which is the same as the 2nd row, only I thinned out the lettering by .001" using the contour tool. The results:

the whole plate for visual ref-
    CF2.jpg

Note the Cermark isn't too bad, even the tiny line is mostly readable, and the top 2 lines are very readable, and with this font you can cram a lot of words into a pretty small space! Now on the 2nd fiber run on the right, thinning up the lettering on the 3rd line increased the readablilty quite a bit- The easy way to do this in bulk is to go online and find a similar font that's thinner
    CF3.jpg

closeup
    CF4.jpg
    -the bottom line contains 35 characters in a .048" tall x .635" long space...

My issue, the fiber text from the left section:
    cf1.jpg
    --I have a seriously crazy 'lazy' in line 2 going on, and a few smaller bobbles in places. Changing the hatch routine helped a ton, but the G in DOG in the 1st closeup pic still has a bit of wobble to it. Time to start pulling cables and hitting them with the electronics spray cleaner...

Anyway, fiber is the way to go for really small stuff. Or a 355nm UV laser for REEEEEAAALLLLY small stuff! Kinda thinkin' they're a bit spendy though...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

OK, I did some more testing, at least on the computer. My QR code is set at .600" square, bracelet is only .750" wide and curved on the edges. The scan won't read at 100% or 150%, but when I change it to 200% it will read, which means the QR code would have to be 1.2" square.

Thats at the best contrast possible, white screen black marks. As Mike said, stainless reflection might cause even more issues. Not sure it's worth wasting any Cermark or stainless to test further.

Kevin, the point of the bracelets is in most cases a medical alert, so making the text as small as possible isn't really a good idea in an emergency situation. I stick with Arial 9pt as the smallest I will go, otherwise folks with even slightly bad eyesight won't be able to read it without a magnifying glass.
    Brian Lamb

I realize people will need to read the thing, I was just showing how much smaller a fiber is capable of.

The largest lettering on my test plate is 9pt, and my 64 year old eyes can read it easily.

As to the Steelfish font vs. Arial; where you can fit 100 Arial characters horizontally, you can fit approx. 220 Steelfish characters. And FWIW I increased the character spacing by 12% to help prevent the letters from running together.

--both lines are the same height--

cf6.jpg

So while you may not get QR code to work with Cermark, a compressed font might get you there...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Over Exposed or running too hot?

Late to the thread, but it looks like it's over-exposed or ran too hot?... however that works with Cermark? The loss of detail could be causing your issue. (note the loss of detail in the caduceus)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    I had a customer on one of my medical alert bracelets that wanted a lot of info on the bracelet, couldn't fit anywhere near all the text so I offered a QR code. I've done a few before but not this much info and they seemed to work. Any suggestions? Scanning the code enlarged off the computer screen works fine, after engraving the phone finds "nothing".

IMG_2923.jpg
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Blog Entries
    The issue is more the phone and it's camera than the engraving. There has to be enough 'white' are for the camera to be able to differentiate between the black and background. Less information gives you more white space
    And by saying too much it is too much for a SMALL engraving.
    I didn't make myself clear and Brian proves this by increasing it's size. You CAN make a small QR code, I have mine running on a 10mm square on anneal on stainless cups. (.39 inches) Reads with my three phones easy.
    I did one as test using a 'frost' setting on plain aluminum at 16mm square and it is enough contrast to read also. Better than white on a shiny anodize part.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

yeah...it's the engraving -- has to do with 'tool width', in this case, the laser beam...

I created this QR code, it says something like 'this is a qr code test'- put it into corel, blew it up big, and did a Trace. Even being just a photo, the edges and corners are extremely sharp and straight. I resized it to .600 high per Brian's size. At that size I had Corel measure a single dot, and even tho these single dots are probably larger than Brians, they measure only .026" square, pretty easy enough for a fiber, but with a C02 beam spot being around. .006", that's adding 25% more to the perimeter of everything!

This is the QR verbatim at .600"--
    q1.jpg

This is the results after adding .003" to the perimeter of everything and radiused the corners .003" too, to replicate the results using a .006" wide laser beam...
    q2.jpg

there's a couple of holes I'm missing, but you get the idea, with all the overlaps the result will be gibberish to a QR reader!

Now, if you were to take the time to inward-offset everything .003" before lasering, you'd get pretty close to the original when done... very time consuming, but possible...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Hi all,

My understanding of QR codes is they require a quite area/zone, to help them scanner read them propery. Reflective surfaces do not provide the quiet area required. I have found when marking reflective surfaces I have to add the quiet area to get reliable scans. Add that to that what Kev showed above and this is probably why they are not scanning. Marks below were made with fiber...
    2018-09-09 18.12.18resize.jpg
    Last edited by Darren Wilson; 09-28-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

I love the oxymoronic irony of how your quiet space looks exactly like white noise --the fiber did a great job!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter