Thread: had a fowl intruder

had a fowl intruder

We have had numerous small birds hit windows in our house and then today this fellow made it right through a single pain window in a 3 season room. He was dead on impact. Appears to be some kind of hawkb1.jpgb2.jpgb3.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by allan kuntz View Post
    We have had numerous small birds hit windows in our house and then today this fellow made it right through a single pain window in a 3 season room. He was dead on impact. Appears to be some kind of hawkb1.jpgb2.jpgb3.JPG
    Bummer. I wonder if it's a young sharp-shinned hawk. But I'm not very good at id'ing hawks

70780511-1280px.jpg

JKJ

Looks just like one to me, John. We get those sometimes chasing the songbirds around the trees by our feeder (often successfully). Really long tail is perfect for steering through tree limbs quickly. He probably caught his own reflection while chasing something, would be my guess.

That's a shame.
    It might be too late, you would have had to have frozen it, but you can contact the DEP in your state and they may be able to give you the name of a Taxidermist.
    These birds are illegal to hunt in any state and are often very desired for dioramas and teaching aids.
    The only way they can get them is through accidents, like that one.
    Still, its a shame. It was a beautiful hawk. Probably chased a songbird into the window.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Allen, you might consider translucent bird stickers on your windows. We had the same problem, the glass was thick/strong enough that they didn't come all the way through but resulted in casualties. SWMBO bought stickers like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Decooo-be-Ant.../dp/B012GGQ0GI

There are of course other sources but you get the idea. The frequency of bird-glass impacts has gone way down since installing them.

Very odd as this just happened to me yesterday. Hawk didn't make it inside though.

Depressing sight. Will be buying some of those decals along with some new glass.

IMG_3568.JPGIMG_3569.jpg

Had this happen years ago. It broke right through a 2x4 foot single pane window and lived. Glass everywhere in my shop. We think our cat was sitting on one of my work benches in front of the window and was the target. We found the two of them in a serious stare down when we heard noises and went down to investigate (walkout basement shop). The bird and the cat were roughly the same size. I was able to slowly make my way past them and open the slider. The hawk eventually hopped over to it, jumped outside and spread his wings. Well over three feet, possibly four!

You may want to contact your state's Fish & Game dept. It may be illegal even to possess it even though it's dead.

I hang plastic bird netting from my rain gutters along the length of my 9' picture window, and attach it with small brads to the picture window frames. You barely notice the netting from inside the house, and the birds slow down and bounce off. Maybe not the hawks and falcons though.

Blog Entries
    Though it could be a Sharp Shinned Hawk, from the long tail in the pics, it seems more likely a Coopers’ Hawk to me. I see one most mornings when walking my dog.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"