Thread: Best Approach for Engraved or Stamped Labels

Best Approach for Engraved or Stamped Labels

Finishing a kitchen job with painted cabinets. There are three lower doors that tip out with garbage, recycling and dog-food behind them. Client is afraid folks won't know which is garbage and which is recycling (a legitimate concern) so they wanted labels on the tip-out doors. I really didn't know what to get or where and simply went online and purchased labels. They'll probably work fine, but I'd really prefer something with more visibility and impact. To me that would be a more polished label that is slightly larger (those purchased are 2-1/2" wide and 1/2" tall with a 72pt font) with a more pronounced (larger and deeper?) font and with screw holes and screws to affix to the door. But I don't know how to spec that out. Can anyone provide expertise?

LakeCab_22Sept2018.jpg
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I'd be inclined to dig out some scrap Rowmark like a metallic silver on black and engrave/cut my own, or cut some acrylic to size/shape and print up something fancier on the UV printer that matched their color scheme. Or go to a metal shop and have them cut stainless sheet to suit and Cermark it if they want metal rather than metallic laminate.

I would use vinyl lettering, no need to drill, and easily removed in the future with just a little heat from a hair dryer.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Take the doors to someone like me, have the words engraved into the wood about .040 deep, then paint the engraving with the same paint. --To those that would do this with a laser, this is a cutter tool job

Or how about standing letters? Anyone who knows their way around a laser could do this easy enough-
    First, lay out the doors in Corel or? -with the words you want, in a font you like, where you want them...
    D1.jpg

Size and laser cut a text layout out of cardboard or some other cheap stuff, that fits each door as shown-
    d3.jpg
    Laser cut the letters out of 1/8" something, or 1/4" something--me, I'd use plex or scrap Rowmark, mostly because I don't have wood laying around - but wood is definitely do-able

Now, paint the letters the same color as the wood...

Once the paint is dry, put the cardboard patterns in place, and place the letters in place- you can use double sided tape, a little tedious to cut, but the laser guy can cut some to fit-- or, a couple of tiny dots of clear silicone, or 5-minute epoxy...

When you're done, it'll look like you milled off all the wood just to leave the letters standing in relief (unless your letters are a different color)

OR maybe--
    D4.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Take the doors to someone like me, have the words engraved into the wood about .040 deep, then paint the engraving with the same paint. --To those that would do this with a laser, this is a cutter tool job
    Engraving and then applying gilt is a great idea. You have me thinking I can do this with a stencil and a sharp chisel, though admittedly I have never applied leaf. But even a contrasting paint would work fine. Thanks!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius