Thread: How to trim

How to trim

May i get suggestions on how you would trim off about 1" all around from this table. Its presently 30"d.

i've got a good PC router, 12" band saw, table saw and assorted power and hand tools.

thanks
    richIMG_1437.jpg

I would make a circle cutting jig for your bandsaw. Just a piece of plywood with a pin at 14”.

yep, bandsaw would be my suggestion too, but you can do it on a tablesaw (see videos on youtube) or a jigsaw with an edge guide...whatever seems easiest and safest to you
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Dave's idea will work if the legs don't get in the way, if they do use a circle jig for your router. If you don't want a hole in the top for the pin use double sided tape or hot glue to temporarily attach a piece of MDF or plywood with the hole for the pin. You could also use a circle cutting jig on a table saw which would avoid any interference with the legs.

Oops! Didn't even consider the legs!

What about just repairing that damaged spot, assuming that's why you want to cut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post

What about just repairing that damaged spot
    My thoughts, exactly. Wouldn't be too hard to patch in a Dutchman and shape to match the edge profile.

If you can find a suitable piece of wood, it might be easier to cut off the broken part in a straight line, glue on a replacement, then at most skim the rest of the edge as you trim the patch with a router and circle jig. If you don't have the right profile bit and/or don't want to bother with finding the center to the needed accuracy, a small region of curve like that could simply be carved freehand. Try on scrap first, but it might work well. Unless you really want the top smaller.

Yea, I'd strip the finish completely to bare wood and cut out for and install a matching species patch, following the same grain direction at that point in the edge treatment and then trim/shape it to match followed by applying a new finish. Cutting off the edge all around is going to provide a pretty funky edge that doesn't match the original intent, reduce the size of the table and still require a complete refinish to look right in the end. This is an excellent skill-building opportunity!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you want to repair the edge I suggest you check out Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration on Youtube, lot's of good tips on repairing wood furniture. Just guessing, based on the 30 sticker, was this an auction or flea market find?

Yes, patch it. Quite satisfying to do a nice patch. Those who see it will remark on your skill ,and those who don't will remark on your skill when you make them look at it and listen to how you did it.

Another vote for the patch, which can be done easily many ways.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

If you dont want to try and repair it I would use the table saw to cut an inch or so off since it’s the easiest way to do it accurately and then I would just re rout the edge detail however you want.

All-
    i'm sorry i asked the question and then just dropped off the earth. for those of you whom are married, you'll understand... my wife said "don't worry about that now" and shifted me to
    another project!
    thank you all!!