Thread: Epifanes

Epifanes

Hello, I have a maple coffee table that I applied Bush Oil to about a month ago and am very happy with the grain pop and final results. I am thinking about top coating with Epifanes Marine Varnish. Do you think this would be a more durable finish for everyday use.

2040CD87-26DD-4FF8-99D9-41E037501579.jpg D836CE71-E871-4B79-8D62-06CE6DAB17AC.jpg
    Last edited by kevin nee; 09-22-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Marine/spar varnish tends to be soft because it's designed to be very flexible "out in the weather". I personally wouldn't use it for a project like this unless it's for outdoor use and then, I'm not fond of film finishes anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Kevin,

I agree with what Jim wrote, except that I do happen to like film finishes. That does not look like an outdoor table to me, and it probably should not be since maple is not all that decay resistant. Bush Oil appears to be an oil/varnish blend. It has high solids content. According to the label it can be recoated. If you want a thicker finish, and if the table will be kept indoors, just give it another coat of Bush Oil. If it will be an outdoor table, Epifanes is a great choice. Give it at least 4 more coats and make sure that the end grain is well sealed.

Doug

Clarifying...I don't like film finishes outdoors. Indoors...that's what I use 99% of the time
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the replies, this is table for in front of the couch. It will have drinks, food, and feet etc.
    It is relatively small 19”x35” 17”. Kevin

Blog Entries
    I would use a brushable lacquer finish which would be resistant to drinks and food. It also would tend to enhance your nice grain. It is what was used on this breakfast in bed tray.
    snaktab.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nitrocellulose lacquer is hardly very resistant to drinks and food and wouldn't be my choice for a table for such application. I would use an interior varnish that is harder than marine spar varnishes such as Epifanes. Interior varnish is at least as water resistent as the exterior spar varnish. One good choice would be Pratt & Lambert 38.

Blog Entries
    I've finished coffee tables, end tables, snack tables and more with Deft Clear wood finish and have never had a problem with water marks or water damage to the finished surfaces despite many instances of sweating glasses, hot cups of coffee and even some alcohol. I've seen similar projects with polyurethane with water marks and rings under the finish. I even made a set of side tables for a church where they set flower vases and sometimes water gets slopped and left for day with no ill results.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute