Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Band sawing wet (green) wood

My 18" Rikon also accumulated a lot of dust in the bottom, even with the 5hp cyclone, until I made one change. I added small box that fit around the lower guides and forced the air from the upper pickup to go across the blade and guides. Now I get almost nothing in the cabinet. This also took care of what sawdust that sprayed out of guides and onto the floor.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I also have what I consider strong dust extraction, a Laguna Cflux3 and it sits right next to the bandsaw. I still get a fair amount of wet sawdust in the bottom of the bandsaw when I cut the green oak. Some of the oak has more pitch than others. Those are the ones that really make a mess of my bandsaw and also the one that gummed up the tires so much my blade came off the wheels. Yes I sawed too long without checking, just did not realize how much gummy sawdust was in the bandsaw wheel cavities.

I was sawing fresh cut red maple but I have had this problem before with green maple. The Laguna has ceramic guides that just barely touch the blade and do some scraping but the wheels still get buildup. I have never tried ignoring this issue as I am nervous about the 'gunk' changing the tracking. The rubber on the wheels is pretty hard. I did try spraying with silicone this time AFTER I finished! Next time I saw wet hardwood I'll try it BEFORE I saw. LOL
    Thanks so much for all the helpful comments.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .