Thread: Quiet dust collection?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quiet dust collection?

While surfing the web this morning I found this
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/g700

Has any one used one?!?
    Carpe Lignum

Stuart Kent has one at the NC Furniture School. He's also a dealer for Harvey. When you stop in, tell him I said hello. https://ncfurnitureschool.com/
    Last edited by Eugene Dixon; 09-23-2018 at 8:25 PM.

This thing seems to pop up every once in a while. Could be the next best thing but I think it needs to be out for a lot longer before we'll know. Right off the bat IMO its a lot to trade off for approx 10db less noise than an already pretty quiet dust collection cyclone like the Oneida V-3000. It has a huge foot print, and a small bin without an option to increase it from what I can tell. Its also a good $1K more expensive and doesnt seem to offer more suction. I have yet to read of anyone actually owning one (who wasnt somehow involved with the company and promoting for them) so we dont really know what life is like using one for an extended amount of time. I wonder how complicated the whole internal design is too. A traditional cyclone setup is pretty simple with really only an impeller and motor to worry about. This thing looks like its got a lot of parts to it and many of them are probably very proprietary.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I believe the cfm at pressure is less. There is no magic bullet except for insulation. An impeller moving air under pressure creates noise. If you are reducing the noise, you are also reducing the cfm under pressure. A low pressure impeller is more quiet but useless to woodworkers who need large cfm. Better to insulate the unit than try to achieve noise reduction through impeller design. Dave

Don't sacrifice performance for a few dB's especially at this price point.

My cyclone is in a closet, so very quiet - but once you open the blast gate.....

If you really want quiet and in the price range of the above—get a Nederman S-series. Very, very quiet and they move a lot of air. You can see them in operation all over IWF and other large trade shows.

Youtube nederman s-1000 and you will find a video of a 5000 cfm machine in operation.

They make two smaller machines than the S-1000.

The S-500 is the smallest. It is 5HP and available as single phase.

Greg
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 09-25-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Confirmed S-500 is single phase

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    While surfing the web this morning I found this
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/g700
    Isn't that the one priced like it's made of gold?

If noise is a consideration, look at the Felder RL-series or Alko units.

I can't remember the number of times I have had people say to me that the noise of the air through the machines is too loud and they want to quieten things down. My answer is that if it is that loud it is doing the job it should because moving a lot of air through a machine creates a lot of noise.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    IMy answer is that if it is that loud it is doing the job it should because moving a lot of air through a machine creates a lot of noise.
    Sorry, noise does not equal a good job. Good engineering can significantly quiet a machine. Watch the Nederman video I mention above. 5000 CFM and you can carry on a normal conversation next to it. Belfab makes a “hummer” option for their dust collectors that make them incredibly quiet though not as quiet as Nederman.

The cheap dust collectors hobbiest use have no where near the engineering quality of industrial machines—IMO. The sad fact is the price of hobbiest dust collectors is getting too expensive and some companies make them far too complicated, A quality blower and filter bag make a dust collector.

If I were outfitting a small personal shop, for about $4k I would buy the small 5HP single phase Nederman. The db level combined with the very high quality filter bags can’t be beat.

I have been considerring one myself for most of the machines in my shop. I have a 15HP and a 7.5 HP Torit now, both will still be used. This would free up my 15HP to be dedicated to a moulder.

Greg
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 09-26-2018 at 8:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    Sorry, noise does not equal a good job. Good engineering can significantly quiet a machine. Watch the Nederman video I mention above. 5000 CFM and you can carry on a normal conversation next to it. Belfab makes a “hummer” option for their dust collectors that makes them incredibly quiet though not as quiet as Nederman.

The cheap dust collectors hobbiest use have no where near the engineering quality of industrial machines—IMO. The sad fact is the price of hobbiest dust collectors is getting too expensive and some companies make them far too complicated, A quality blower and filter bag make a dust collector.

If I were outfitting a small personal shop, for about $4k I would buy the small 5HP single phase Nederman. The db level combined with the very high quality filter bags can’t be beat.

I have been considerring one myself for most of the machines in my shop. I have a 15HP and a 7.5 HP Torit now, both will still be used. This would free up my 15HP to be dedicated to a moulder.

Greg
    I was referring to the noise of the air going through a machine in the average hobby work shop. I have no doubt that if someone put a lot of design work into any machine the noise could be reduced. Bang for the buck an Oneida or CV cyclone will more than suffice at and in fact be overkill in some cases in a hobby workshop. I looked at the video and it has got filter bags so I'm out as they are my pet hate, sooner or later they have to be cleaned. My cyclone has no bags which suits me just fine.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Have you worked with a high quality industrial bag? You cannot compare hobbiest filter bag collectors to these. They are not your old powermatic or delta bags!

I had the round barrel filters on my old Grizzly cyclone, and on a current portable powermatic. They are a pain to keep clean and require more work than bags. I routinely use air to blow them out—talk about a mess! My parking lot and myself are covered. Pleated filters are a bad idea.

Gregory's assertion is a matter of opinion - one which I do not share. I have used both too.

The Laguna Pflux is very quiet compared to my typical dust collector.... I am very impressed by what they did with the thing.