Thread: Planing End Grain

Planing End Grain

I understand not putting end grain such as an entire end grain cutting board or chess board through a planer. I have made some cutting board 'blanks' though that only have one row of end grain pieces. Usually after glue up I run the blanks through the planer to flatten out imperfections from glue up. I'm wore out trying to sand this down flat with belt sander and am temped to put through the planer (13" Delta). I have two such slabs. In one the end grain row is zebra wood and the other is Padauk. Talk me out of it! Photo is the one with Zebra Wood. (with some small oak spacers - also end grain)
    Scott
    IMG-2451.jpg

I'd run it VERY carefully thru your planer..very light cuts.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Scott, do you have any hand planes? If so, that's what I would use. If not, I agree with Michelle. Take the lightest cuts for which you can adjust the machine.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Take light cuts as already suggested. However, you need to chase it through with another block firmly behind it so that you don't get break out. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

As long as the end grain is sandwiched by long grain as well as taking very light cuts you will be ok. I glue sacrificial strips around the end grain then plane them. Once done i rip off the sacrificial pieces on the bandsaw.

I have run 1000s of square feet of maple end grain through my planer. The blanks are over sized to deal with blow out at the ends, I take very light cuts and I pencil on preferred feed direction to reduce tearout. Sharp knives for the job. My planer has four posts to actuate table height and it is a heavier European piece. I wouldn't try this on a bench top unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    As long as the end grain is sandwiched by long grain as well as taking very light cuts you will be ok. I glue sacrificial strips around the end grain then plane them. Once done i rip off the sacrificial pieces on the bandsaw.
    Check out MTMWood on youtube. He makes lots of end-grain cutting boards and does this as well, at least for some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    This, or something like it. Or a large, very sharp, well set up hand plane.

The alternative/best option is to find someone with a wide belt sander and run them through at 40 or 60 grit.

Those are nice looking blanks.