Thread: Weird Craigslist replies: What's the scam?

Weird Craigslist replies: What's the scam?

Folks - Not to start another craigslist thread, but....

I posted in the Free section about a twin size box spring that I have no use for, just trying to avoid taking it to the dump. I got one response from a "Guy Fawkes" saying "what is the lowest you would accept for this" .

Ok, that's just dumb. I mean, it's posted in the Free section. And that's a pretty unusual, famous name.

THen I got another, from a more normal name "Saige Dupont" saying "Interested in this item. Can come today." Seems a little nonspecific to be from an actual human who is actually interested.

So I'm figuring these are both some sort of scam. But what's the point? Getting my email when I reply? Are emails addresses that useful/valuable? Or are they hoping to get a street address? What good does that do them?

I thought perhaps some of the more experienced Craistlist users could shed some light on this.

Thanks, Ken

By the way, anyone in Northern Connecticut have a need for a twin box spring ?

Well I wouldn't call myself an experienced CL user but these sound like automated responses to me.

Fishing for a big one. Waiting for a tug on the line.

Yes, I've wondered the same about the purpose of these kind of replies on Craigslist. Still not sure of the purpose but am sure it's not good. I've sold a lot of items over the years on Craigslist's and have learned if you do not post your email address or phone number that cuts out 90% of these malicious replies. Only let them contact you through the Craigslist reply button.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Only let them contact you through the Craigslist reply button.
    This is the only way I sell on Craigslist. Then to complete the transaction I do it our local police station "Internet Transaction" area. It is monitored with video surveillance.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 09-22-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

On those rare occasions when I do sell through Craigslist, I create an e-mail just for that sale. When I've sold the item, I delete the ad and delete the e-mail account.

Blog Entries
    George,

I had never heard of Police offering an Internet Transaction Zone. Is it just a monitored parking lot? Or is there more to it?

In California it means a corner of the police parking lot with a streetlight and 24/7 video monitoring/recording. I assume the desk Sargent keeps an eye on the monitor.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    This is the only way I sell on Craigslist. Then to complete the transaction I do it our local police station "Internet Transaction" area. It is monitored with video surveillance.
    I do the deals in the parking lot of a local gun shop.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have been to a couple that use the lobby as a transaction zone. One place was a police station fire station combo that you could have an officer or a fireman over look the transaction

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have been to a couple that use the lobby as a transaction zone. One place was a police station fire station combo that you could have an officer or a fireman over look the transaction
    Last thing I bought from a CL ad weighed 11,000 lbs and cost North of $20k. Don't think it would have fit in the lobby.