Thread: What plane is this?

What plane is this?

This was given to me by a friend, who said his grandfather used it in South Africa in the early 1900's. I have no reason to disbelieve him, but other than the blade, which is a Stanley, I am not knowledgeable enough to identify this item.
    I'm sure someone must know of this. Hopefully the pictures will come up .....
    Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Stanley made for Sears & Roebuck..about early 1960s....before Sears started with that RED paint scheme...

I am not sure exactly what you have. If in fact, it is a Stanley like the iron says, it is a fairly recent one certainly the late 1950s at the earliest. It has may characteristics of a Stanley, but not all match.

We need a photo of behind the frog in front of the tote. It may have been made by Stanley for another company, as Steven mentions, and that thought occurred to me also, and thus cheapened up. It may also be a knock off copy of a Stanley.

The tote is too cheap even for a type 19 Stanley, the one on my type 19 looks infinitely better. The vertical adjuster wheel does not look like any early Stanley, or type 19 or type 20 or again any of the earlier ones. My type 19 has the traditional Stanley horizontal adjuster lever, this one has a cheap stamped one. However, the planes Stanley made for other companies had cheaper folded horizontal adjuster levers.

It is also possible that is some cheap transition from a type 19 to the type 20. I don't know. Stanley was looking at all kinds of ways a that time to make their bench planes cheaper. This may be one of those.

That said I am certain it is certainly not an early 1900s plane. I am virtually certain it was made in the late 1950s at the very earliest, and probably later. It could also be a British made Stanley, one of those could have ended up in Africa.

I am not up to snuff on Stanley planes made after the 1960s.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 09-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.

That was the color that Sears ordered at the time....otherwise it would have been a red and gray "Victor" 1105.

Sargent had a line of "Green" planes..called Hercules.... There would had been a raised "boss" either right behind the frog, or behind the front knob. I don't recall Sargent having that "rib" on the toe and heel..Stanley used that for quite a few "types".

The "flats" on the sides of the tote...was where a store's logo would be silk-screened on....IF the buyer wanted to.

Stanley did not go out of their way when making planes to be sold by others.....that way, a Stanley plane would always look better, and sell for a higher price...

It is not Stanley. The adjusting lever is folded steel. It is marked "Made in USA" in place of a brand name. The frog and lever cap are around 1970. The wood looks stained hardwood rather than Rosewood.

Stanley planes in South Africa would have either been Made in England or early Stanley USA models (Type 8 or 9 or earlier). Certainly, I could not imagine torquoise paint from that time

Regards from Perth

Derek

Aaron; I don't see why anyone would bother to answer your post given your already stated position against earlier made Stanley bench planes.

Taking on a broader view, modern hand tool manufacturers like LN and LV/Veritas would not exist without the benefit of end of patent dates on earlier Stanley tool designs.

I have a little of all three!
    2 older Stanleys, a #3 with a replacement Veritas blade and cap. and a #6, dead stock.
    Finally got rid of a #5 Record, and replaced it with a Veritas 5 1/4; Replaced 2 #4 Records with one Veritas Bevel up smoother and a low angle smoother (ie 4 1/2).
    They all feel fine to me.
    Around here, (Vancouver, Canada), junk on Craigslist sells for about half of a Veritas; A really good example costs nearly the same. Why bother?
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 09-22-2018 at 5:57 AM.

SDC15345.jpgSDC15342.jpgSDC15339.jpg
    Sold at Sears as a Dunlap Brand....as for the colour on the OP's plane.
    SDC13576.jpg
    Sears specified that colour for thier line of planes...underside of this cap iron is the OEM colour.

Sargent, Stanley and Millers Falls all made planes for Sears.

Stanley went to that style of Lateral lever about..1962 or 63....

Stewie, I never said I was against older Stanley equipment. Please reread the quoted post. I continue to use my #3 albeit with a modern blade as well as a #6, and a 90. I had troubles with some Record planes of more modern manufacturer and sold them off in favour of modern equipment. I also have wooden planes.
    I look on local Craigslist and absolute junk, is being asked about 50% of the price of a brand new quality plane. When I visited Los Angeles on a grandchild visit run, it was similar.
    You live in Australia. We both look on eBay. When I see the asking price, add the shipping and the currency conversation for what I might buy it just doesn’t pay.
    I don’t haunt 2nd hand shops, don’t have the time. Don’t hit garage sales, again, not effective use of time.
    All I want to do is practice and get better at this craft.
    Sorry I wasn’t cleared on that earlier post.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.