Thread: DeWalt DW618 and Porter Cable Dovetail jig - box joints

DeWalt DW618 and Porter Cable Dovetail jig - box joints

As title says, I am trying to use the PC dovetail jig with the Miniature Dovetail Template to cut 1/2" x 1/2" box joints in 1/2" wood. I have a 1/4" diameter straight bit and am using the 3/8" O.D. Template Guide, all per the manual. The problem is when I tighten the template guide using wrenches (if I don't, within 10 seconds of turning the router on, the template guide becomes loose). When I turn the router on, the template guide must be rubbing up against the router collett (??) as I begin to see sparks. This doesn't seem to be that hard, so I must be messing something up. I am new at this, but have read both manuals and watched a few YouTube video's and it seems straightforward. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing incorrectly?

Without seeing what you're doing, the first thing that came to mind when you said the collett may be coming into contact with the template guide is the router bit is too deep into the collett.

If that's not it, can you post some pictures of your setup?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Kathleen

I assume you mean the guide collar when you say template guide. (I am not trying to be pedantic, I just want to be clear.) Since the metals involved are aluminum and steel, I don't understand why you see sparks, but it sure sounds like Julie is onto the correct line. If the collett is rubbing the guide collar it might also explain why it keeps loosening. The bit shank should be long enough that you can install it to the bottom of the collett and still have plenty of clearance to the cutters. Try this -- take off the collett and install the bit so that the end of the shank is about even with the bottom of the collett. Then re-install the collett with the bit inside it and tighten it up. Second possibility is that the collett is not tight enough and the shank is sliding into the collett. Another possibility that I can think of is that you are plunging the bit too far. If you are relying on the depth gauge on the template, perhaps it is not properly adjusted. You should be able to see how far you should plunge the router to get your BJ sockets.

Pix would be helpful

Doug

Thanks to both Julie and Doug, I was able to finally make my first box joints with this jig. I used both of your ideas and I was making quite a few mistakes and both your ideas helped. Thanks so much!

This is the type of issue that has me cutting dovetails by hand and box joints too. Just watch a few vids then cut a few by hand for practice. It's just not that hard to get good results.

Commit the time and material to a few for practice. It will be slow going and they will look bad. It will get better.

Blog Entries
    I made a sled for my contractors saw and put an adjustable key on it. You cut one slot, set the key, and after that you just move the slot you just cut to the key.

Peach Tree Woodworking sells wave spring washers that you insert behind the router bushing nut when installing Porter Cable style guide bushings. Since I began using them I have never had a bushing nut loosen up. www.ptreeusa.com item #2903 Present price is $5.99 for two. I only have two that I bought about 10 years ago. They don't wear out, but I have lost, and then found them again several times.

Charley

Blog Entries
    I use the wave springs and have never had a problem since. I used to use teflon tape with reasonable success.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler