Thread: Questions about GF Enduro Var

Questions about GF Enduro Var

I’ve been making rocking chairs for 15+ years (250-300) and have always finished them with oil such as Arm-R-Seal (or similar), gloss or simi-gloss. When cured I use 4/0 steel wool and paste wax to knock down some of the gloss and give them a smooth feel.
    I recently decided to switch to waterborne GF Enduro Var satin and sprayed a few test pieces of cherry and walnut using a Earlex 5500. The finished went on pretty well, but has a flatter look than I wanted. Since I bought a gallon I’m thinking about buying a couple of quarts of gloss to mix with the satin to increase the gloss. Will that work? Also, when it has cured can it be rubbed out with paste wax or do you leave it "as is"?
    Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I have two days of experience with waterborne finishes. Thanks

Yes, you can intermix different sheens without issue. And you can rub out EnduroVar after about 7 days, but I personally would not use steel wool or wax, thoughit may work fine, I just haven't tried it. I use wet dry sandpaper or Micromesh with soapy water.

John

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...n-brochure.pdf

You can find these on ebay for about 25 bucks per box. Search "3M scotchbrite clearcoat pads" there, and they should pop up.

The 3's are at least as fine as 0000 steel wool, and can conform to any shape. They're completely full of whatever the abrasive is, and don't shed, so they last a Long time. I ordered one box of 3's just to try, and liked them so much that I ordered the others too. The boxes contain perforated rolls that you tear one off of that's about the same size as Scotchbrite pads that come individually, so they end up a lot cheaper than buying small packages of Scotchbrite pads.

Thanks John and Tom. I ordered a box of the white Scotchbrite pads from ebay today. Jim

I expect you'll end up wanting the gold ones too. They say that the white is equivalent to 0000 steel wool, and the gold to 000, but they seem finer than that to me. I know one thing-I'll never buy steel wool again. I looked for the whole range information, and found this: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...s/handpads.pdf

Tom,
    Thanks for the additional information. A few years ago I used white on raw wood while making maloof style chairs. I used it in place of steel wool before the oil finish to more or less burnish the wood. I saw the gold on ebay but didn't know what it was equivalent too