Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here, Planer question..

New guy here, Planer question..

As the title says I'm a new guy here, thanks for letting me in. Been into woodworking for a long time, not professionaly but for myself. I have a reasonable WW shop in a 30x40 building I have. I'm reasonably old and I'm retired. So on to my question(s).
    I have a 12 1/2" Delta bench planer, have had it for years and it has done me well over the years. HOWEVER.. Earlier this year I bough a small manual sawmill, I have 100 acres of woods, so lots of trees to turn into lumber, mostly SYP or Loblolly pine. Rough sawn boards need more aggressive planning than my little Delta is capable of keeping up with so I'm looking for a larger new (used) planer . Right now I have a line on a couple within reasonable driving distance and would like our thoughts.

First off and headlining my list is an older Grizzly G1021 15" planer with a 3hp motor, it has cast infeed and outfeed tables and a mobile base which would be necessary anyway. From the pics I've seen it looks good and the owner of it says its up and running and I can try it out if I go look at it. He's asking $450 and is about 3 hours drive.

This Grizzly is the one I'd really like to hear your thoughts on.

The second and third are both Jet planers, one is a JWP-15cs (15 inch $300), the other is a JWP- 160s (16 inch $850) Both look good but I as of yet have not heard back from the sellers so that's all I have on them.

I'm still in the market so if you know of anything else in the Carolinas I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks guys..

I would be all over the G1021. I have a G0453Z.

I actually took a pass on it, Just didn't like the 3 hr drive each way to get it.. just started my search so I'm hoping something else comes up.

Have you heard back on the Jets ? I think most any of the four post 15'' planers are going to be very comparable. Pretty well all are made in Taiwan or China,unless you find an older Powermatic or Delta. Probably not that big of a deal as far as brand goes,I would go with whatever is in the nicest shape. I own a Delta DC380 made in China,I bought new about 10-12 years ago. It has worked really good once I bought a set of good quality knives for it. Good luck in your search,Mike.

No, I can’t get a response from either Jet guy, hoping I do and if not I’ll keep looking.
    And yes I realize lots of that stuff is made in China , I think my 10” LT Powermatic tablesaw is Chinese made and it has done me well for 20 ish years.
    Thanks for the reply

Scott

One question, and not to second guess you, but why go so small for a planer?
    I have the 15" Jet and it's been a very solid machine, but I now have some rough cut walnut, up to 20"+ wide, that won't go through the Jet and it would be a shame to rip it to fit.
    Just a question, as I am considering picking up a planer on Craigslist to handle this walnut.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Scott

One question, and not to second guess you, but why go so small for a planer?
    I have a 15" Jet and it's been a solid machine, but I now have some rough cut walnut, up to 20"+ wide, that won't go through the Jet and it would be a shame to rip it to fit.
    Just a question, as I am considering picking up a planer on Craigslist to handle this walnut.
    I wasn't going to go there because I didn't know what the limitation of a 15" was. If I had a 30x40 shop and 100 acres of wood I would be looking for 20" or larger as well.

Scott,
    does your shop have 220v? i work out of my garage and the main thing i'm limited to is 110v 20a equipment (which i had to run the 20a). do you have or can you run 220?

Are you in Kershaw, SC? At minimum, I'd be all over that Rockwell 18" wedge bed in Mooresville for $750 which is less than 2 hours away. But like Cary says, a 20" or larger single or double-sided would be more applicable to what you are planning on doing. Something like the PM 24" in Wilmington (segmented infeed) or keep looking for a Newman, Buss or similar.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    There is a 24” SAC on
    Woodweb for a pretty decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    There is a 24” SAC on
    Woodweb for a pretty decent price.
    I could find 0 planers on woodweb

Mike Cutler, and Cary Falk. I don't cut much that big, and if I saw a 20 incher come up in my price range (< $1000) I'd probably jump on it, just figured 15" would cover most things I would do.

Richard Miller, yes I have 220, and if I didn't it wouldn't be to hard to put in.

Bill Adamsen, yes Kershaw SC, I saw that wedge bed but am completely unfamiliar with a "wedge bed" , also am hoping I can get one that I can put a mobile base under so I can move it around and it looked pretty massive.
    I didn't see the PM 24" in Wilmington but I'm sure its out of my range, but I'll have a look..

This search is ongoing so you never know.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Scott Braun; 09-22-2018 at 3:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Braun View Post
    I saw that wedge bed but am completely unfamiliar with a "wedge bed" , also am hoping I can get one that I can put a mobile base under so I can move it around and it looked pretty massive.
    Many folks (myself included) are familiar with them because they were a standard in school shops back in the 1960s and 70s. For the size the weight (600-700#?) is very reasonable. Paul Novelli did a nice restore on the 18 Rockwell wedge bed including a mobile base. The video link will show the mobile base he built. The machine is a solid combination of size, weight, and capability. No segmented infeed ... but for rough planing single boards (as I suspect you want to do) not really an issue. While that unit has extra knives, likely you'd want either the grinder (doesn't appear to be included) or a different knife head. Seller indicates a willingness to deliver within 200 miles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPG0o7XlOw
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-22-2018 at 3:56 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Many folks (myself included) are familiar with them because they were a standard in school shops back in the 1960s and 70s. For the size the weight (600-700#?) is very reasonable. Paul Novelli did a nice restore on the 18 Rockwell wedge bed including a mobile base. The video link will show the mobile base he built. The machine is a solid combination of size, weight, and capability. No segmented infeed ... but for rough planing single boards (as I suspect you want to do) not really an issue. While that unit has extra knives, likely you'd want either the grinder (doesn't appear to be included) or a different knife head. Seller indicates a willingness to deliver within 200 miles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnPG0o7XlOw
    I contacted the seller to ask about delivery, but it is listed (and confirmed in the video) at 1200 pounds, and I'm really thinking I don't want to have to worry about fighting that guy trying to move it. Cool video by the way. Thanks.

I just had to turn down a $500 Powermatic 6" planer that looked brand new. He upgraded to an 8" helical. It was an hour from me but I had no way to transport it. Heartbreaker.

Go Grizzly!!