Thread: Lap-Sharp

Lap-Sharp

Wood Artistry's website doesn't seem to function. I'm assuming the company no longer exists. Anyone have any information? Any leads on where to buy the same lapping sheets for the machine? Thanks in advance

This isn’t going to help much, but I remember Don saying that the discs were some standard sheet abrasive, and his value-added was that he cut the sheets into discs. Maybe you can look at whatever discs you have to figure out who made the sheets, acquire some of them, and cut them into discs yourself.

3. Not sure of the diameters of your machine, but the cost of diamond lap discs has come down dramatically.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Eric,

What size is the Lap-Sharp disc?

Lee Valley sells 8" discs for their Veritas® Mk.II Power Sharpening System.

There are other sources for other sizes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lap-Sharp promoted the use of 3M Trizact PSA film, but when I begin look at all the different options, my eyes glaze over. So no info on whether wood artistry is still around?

In April 2017 the website was sort of functional. I ordered and paid for some abrasive disks, and got no response. An email to the original owner and inventor Don Naples got a reply. He had sold the company to a gentleman named Alan Bertozzi in January of 2016. Don forwarded my email to Mr. Bertozzi and I soon took delivery of my order.

Try sending an email to Alan Bertozzi. This is the only address I have for him: Alan@woodartistry.com

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks, Jack. He did reply to my email that he is still running Wood Artistry. I responded asking about the products on the website, which down;t work for me, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I purchased the Lap-Sharp quite awhile back and did not get around to using it. In 2017 I purchased quite a bit of abrasives in all grits-microns and extra aluminum disks etc as it was my impression I had the best sharpening machine ever made but the company was on shaky ground.

I am now motivated to improve my hand tool skills. Now is the time for me to use it. I tried to reach the company and left a message. No reply. On one of my products, I had a cell phone and it was from Alan who purchased the company from Don Naples, and I was able to reach him. For sure, Lap-Starp is out of business. Too expensive to manufacture. Well, I have a working machine, a manual, the DVD, and enough abrasives to last a life time, and I am now setting time aside to practice using it.

I was wondering if with the Lap-Sharp, for those of you who actually own and use one, do you find occasion to use traditional waterstones, something from Nano Hone for example? If so, when do you use the lap-sharp and when the waterstones with lapping plates?

For sale in the classifieds. I spent some time with it and was impressed by the build quality, ability to rotate at a low RPM forward and reverse with the foot pedal, and the speed of sharpening facilitated by not having to frequently flatten the abrasive as one would with a waterstone.

I also spent time with new waterstones, and for my use as a hobby guy who does not collect chisels or planes, I think better for me to just use waterstones.