Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescription Safety Glasses

Prescription Safety Glasses

I am planning to get some prescription safety glasses soon and wondered if anyone is aware of a good source online, or if most get them from their local optometrist?
    Thanks very much!
    Martin

If you just need the glasses for close work, you can do what I do and get the safety glasses with the magnifier in the lower part of the lense. This works quite well. If you need the glasses for distance viewing, all I ever did was to use safety glasses that fit over the regular glasses. I had cataract surgery, which is the reason I use the magnifying glasses now. I had no problem with the safety glasses over the regular glasses, and didn't have to get a new pair every time my prescription changed, or I spattered super glue all over them.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I buy mine from a local optometrist. They are expensive but worth it IMO. I took a fall last year, damaged a cheek bone, had a small brain bleed as a result of bouncing my head off a concrete parking barrier. The glasses survived.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When I wore glasses I never bothered with safety lenses and used a full face visor instead. It saved me from direct hits in the face a few times.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Most of the prescription glasses are now made from the polycarbonates which are shatter proof, or maybe resistant. Any goggle or face shield would be fine over them. Ask your optometrist.

robo hippy

I have a pair of these safety glasses from Zenni and didn't like them because the inner lenses are not cleanable in-place, you have to remove them.

My preferred "shop glasses" are some cheap aviator frames augmented by a visor when working at the lathe.

I get them at my local optometrist as well, selection of certified safety glass frames (required by work) is usually a little sad though. If you get an eye exam you should be able to use that to order then online no problem, I just haven't done that.

Jon

I got mine through the VA.

Wayne

I haven't bought but did check out Walmart optical in store to get a pair of trifocal safety glasses and found somewhat reasonable price. Trifocals definitely run up the price. After cataracts, I only need readers usually but do need the trifocal in the shop due to work distance being between distance and reading length. Still getting by with pair that is 11 years old but time for replacement.

I've used this company a number of times. I always supplied my old frames.
    I can't tolerate polycarbonate, so I get trivex.
    https://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/I...p/pyim53cl.htm

I got a set of 3M prescription safety glasses for work. They had to be bought locally and I was able to specify glass over polycarb. Over all I would say they are fine but the glass is kind of think, not too heavy or anything but just kind of thick. The nice thing about buying locally was that I could try on the numerous frames. There must have been about 30 to 40 different styles. They came with side shields that are removable. Over all I like them. The only problem is that they are my first set of bifocal glasses and often while doing repair work I can't tilt my head to get what I'm working on in focus. When I replace them (not for some time) I'm thinking of sacrificing distance vision so I can get a wider range of close vision. But that's something I wouldn't think you could do on-line. But that's because I don't wear them for anything but up close working. Chances are if you wear bifocals you are aware what works for you.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments. I appreciate them very much. I think I’m going to check out local sources first (Walmart and my optometrist). I’m leaning toward (assuming I can get some that are comfortable) dedicated safety glasses with side shields that I just “automatically” put on when I go into my shop. When I turn, I will use a mask.

Thanks again!
    Martin Penning
    joplin, MO

Blog Entries
    Rx safety glasses from the doctor. It’s great to not have to remember to put goggles off and on.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Prescription safety glasses have two requirements:

1. The lenses are polycarbonate.
    2. The frames have to be designed so that the lense can't pop out the back. They are inserted and removed from the front.

This means that you will look like Clark Kent.

Usually safety goggles will fit over prescription glasses.
    Bill

Whatever glasses you wear, even under a face shield, make sure they have side shields. I get mine for free at work, on my eye care plan, and they have removable side shields.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.