Thread: Delta 28-150 Bandsaw

Delta 28-150 Bandsaw

I bought a Delta 28-150 bandsaw 15 years ago from a old friend of mine whose dad pass away. His dad own and operating a hardware store for over 40 years and when he pass away his son didnt have the heart to run it. So he had a clearance sale and I got a few things plus he told me I could have the Delta bandsaw still in the box for $20 dollars. I took it but I didnt have a place for it and it was stored and I finally got it out of storage a couple of days ago.

I got it together and fired it up and wow what a racket and pieces falling out from behind the cover. I shut it off and unplugged it and found the tires come apart. I guess sitting in storage for 15 years kinda took its toll on the rubber tires.

IMG_20180918_211710482.jpgIMG_20180918_211717682.jpgIMG_20180918_211740306.jpg

Well I price the rubber tires and wow no less than $34 dollars for a pair and being on a fix income well that sucked.

Well I did a little research online and saw many a DIY fix for the bandsaw tires and did my this way. I took the wheels off which was pretty easy they are held in place with snap rings and I always had a snap-ring plier set . But I clean the tires off real good and got some common electrical tape and did about 4 wraps around the tire tightly then about 4 wraps with some friction tape real tight. Put everything together and adjusted the tension and the guides properly and spun her up. Adjusted the tracking and cut up some stuff just to see and it works. I open the cover back up and check everything and all is copasetic .

Good job. I prefer duct tape and have built up a crowned tire a couple of times as an emergency fix. The duct tape tears straight with the reinforcing thread so you can tear increasingly wider strips to build up a crown. I have no idea how long the electrical tape will last but I have seen duct tape last for over a year.

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention or at least hack in the youtube era parlance.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.