Thread: roughed out hollow forms

roughed out hollow forms

Between rounds of ornaments for my next craft show i have been hard at work turning out some green rough out hollow forms. C&C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm new to turning and have never done hollow forms - what tool(s) do you use for the inside? Also, do you use a stabilizer for The smaller ones or are they stable enough chucked up?

looks great!
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I'm new to turning and have never done hollow forms - what tool(s) do you use for the inside? Also, do you use a stabilizer for The smaller ones or are they stable enough chucked up?

looks great!
    tom
    I use a home made capture ring system to do my hollowing. The 3 small ones have a recess in the base. The big one was done with a faceplate. I did not use a steady rest for any of them the small ones are between 6 & 7 inches tall. The big one is 11 inches tall.

Looks like a nice group of hollow forms. I love love love turning wet wood! I presently have or shortly will have about 20 pieces of Red Maple to rough out. This means I will have to put aside a lot of other things I am doing at present but the joy spinning wet wood gives me just outweighs everything else. Over the summer I put together a Freezer Kiln and am dying to try it out. I will be turning some items to final thickness and some to return to the lathe and am interested in what happens to them in the new Kiln. I generally turn all my rough turning hollow forms on a tendon and bowls and platters using a recess.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

You may consider slowing the drying down by wrapping them in newspaper and putting them in cardboard boxes. Letting them dry in the free air like that could be problematic? Obviously, there are many variables in how the vessels will behave while drying. I dont see piths on those so that will help.
    The only HF’s that I destroyed were on the second turning.

All of the small ones are coated in anchor seal. The big one is a pith to pith endgrain turning and is coated on the bottom third where the pith is still intact. The 2 on the right are from one piece of crotch and both have pith running through them. The second from the right the pith is in the bottom third and the one on the right it is just barley there in the base.

Nice looking bunch of roughs. What wood specie ? How thick do you leave the walls ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    Between rounds of ornaments for my next craft show i have been hard at work turning out some green rough out hollow forms. C&C welcome
    Very nice HF's Chris, do they sell well at craft shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Nice looking bunch of roughs. What wood specie ? How thick do you leave the walls ?
    Sweet gum and sycamore. Walls are between 3/8 and 1/2 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Wright View Post
    Very nice HF's Chris, do they sell well at craft shows?
    ornaments? This time of year they sell very well. I did a craft show last October and they were my biggest seller. I sold 12 at $25 each. I made them out of a 3x3 of spalted maple i got from the lumber yard dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    I use a home made capture ring system to do my hollowing. The 3 small ones have a recess in the base. The big one was done with a faceplate. I did not use a steady rest for any of them the small ones are between 6 & 7 inches tall. The big one is 11 inches tall.
    Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to try some hollow forms similar in size to your smaller ones but wasn't sure what I needed.
    Tom