Thread: What About Iroko?

What About Iroko?

Hello,

I have not worked with iroko before. I understand that it works pretty well but may be hard on cutters. If you have worked with iroko, what was your experience?

I need lumber for an outdoor chair, about 30 BF. The chair will be varnished, but I want decay resistant hardwood species. I am considering S American Mahogany, Iroko. and white oak. The price difference between mahogany and iroko is about $30-40 for this quantity and that does not exclude the mahogany from consideration. It might be the most attractive choice and it will not dull my bandsaw. On the other hand, I feel more confident in the decay resistance of iroko.

I will appreciate your thoughts.

Doug

Iroko is durable, do look for the heavier examples if you can sift through some, as the same sized piece can be twice the weight of another...and more durable.
    The darkest examples seem to be the heaviest stuff most of the time.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    I just cut veneers from Iroko today. It was not hard on the tools, but does seem very particular about grain direction when planing. When going with the grain it planed beautifully.

Oddly enough it did not seem to like being sawn into veneers, twisting and curling but not badly enough that it could not be planed.

Has anyone experience with how well it glues?
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-20-2018 at 7:32 PM.

I use titebond original and find it glues well, no issues gluing at temps at 13 degrees Celsius, or over.
    I wouldn't risk gluing at 10c

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Tom.

I’m pretty sure I would be allergic to Iroko dust or oils. It’s too much like bubinga. Also read its spirit wood or haunted.

The tree is feared in some cultures where it originates and hence is shunned or revered with offerings.[6]Yoruba people believe that the tree is inhabited by a spirit, and anybody who sees the Iroko-man face to face becomes insane and speedily dies.[7] According to the Yoruba, any man who cuts down any Iroko tree causes devastating misfortune on himself and all of his family,[7] although if they need to cut down the tree they can make a prayer afterwards to protect themselves.[8]
    They also claim that the spirit of the Iroko can be heard in houses which use Iroko wood, as the spirit of the Iroko is trapped in the wood.[7]In Nigeria the iroko wood is of much lower quality due to soil conditions as well as root-rot.[9][10][11] Some Westerners refer to the wood as "poor man's teak".[12]
    Aj

It seems OK if you use reclaimed iroko, what's about to be burned or crushed and carefully restore it again like a surgeon would fix a persons wounds, It just may well be appeasing the spirits.
    I did have a reaction to it a while back, but that was because I had mouth ulcers (had to start smoking ciggys again to stop them during the summer quinone vapour time in my non insulated shed)
    and I wasn't using the cap iron, which meant some/a lot of examples tore out badly releasing the vapour and made my lips burn mainly.
    No issues since touch wood SAM_2240.JPGSAM_2237.JPGSAM_2284.jpg

Tom

Loco for iroko