Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimming A Table Saw Splitter

Shimming A Table Saw Splitter

I have an older Powermatic 71 12" table saw. I recently got a Shark Guard and notice the splitter mounting plate must be out of line with the blade. I was talking with Lee about this and he recommended using an aluminum foil tape. It works good but after taking the splitter off a couple times it gets damaged.

anyone have a better solution??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WoodsShop

How is it attached? My PM66 has an adjustment so I can position the splitter in line with the blade.

p3078638500-4.jpg

p3078638571-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-20-2018 at 8:28 PM.

I posted a pic Greg, it's just a flat area without any adjustment.
    WoodsShop

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wood View Post
    I posted a pic Greg, it's just a flat area without any adjustment.

I was meaning how how was it bolted to that flat stock welded on. If no room to use a bolt setup like I posted can you simply use washer style shims on bolt to left of the splitter?

I have that same orange handle Greg. How would you use washer type shims when I would only need the shim on one side of the bolt?
    WoodsShop

I have that same orange handle Greg. How would you use washer type shims when I would only need the shim on one side of the bolt?
    Joe, maybe I’m misunderstanding your situation but I’m only trying to be helpful. My orange handle screws into a bolt that then screws into the metal plate. I can adjust that inner bolt outward or inward to change the position of the splitter. If I didn’t have that inner bolt, I would put washers or shims between the splitter and the tab with the threaded hole to adjust the alignment. But again maybe I’m not understanding your delima. Regards.

I wasn't very clear, the splitter mounting plate must be tweaked out of line with the blade, if you look at the 2nd image you can see the splitter isn't parallel with the blade kerf, there's an almost 1/8" gap at the leading edge so I need to shim that leading edge out a bit to make it parallel to the kerf. In other words the splitter mounting plate isn't parallel with the blade.
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 09-20-2018 at 8:55 PM.
    WoodsShop

Go to a parts store to see if they have and GM starter shims. I know they are as thick as 1/64 and if that is to thick get a one time use pie pan you can get at the stores and cut you a piece out to use.

I wasn't very clear, the splitter mounting plate must be tweaked out of line with the blade, if you look at the 2nd image you can see the splitter isn't parallel with the blade kerf, there's an almost 1/8" gap at the leading edge so I need to shim that leading edge out a bit to make it parallel to the kerf. In other words the splitter mounting plate isn't parallel with the blade.
    i see. I didn’t catch that before. In this case, I’m not sure. Maybe there are some wedge shaped shims that could help. Maybe that tab needs to be cut off and rewelded. Sorry that I didn’t follow before.

how about something like or of these?
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Lakewood/620/20510/10002/-1
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sps-10542
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-20-2018 at 9:16 PM.

Yeah those shim wedges look good but they'd need to be alot thinner.
    WoodsShop

I would suggest filing or grinding the mounting plate so it is parallel with the blade and shimming from there.

That was my thought Kevin but what tool would you use to grind in there, isn't much space to work. My multimaster would get in there but what type of a blade?
    Last edited by Joe Wood; 09-20-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    WoodsShop

shim stock of the correct thickness held on with super glue. If you grind it it is probably easier to grind the part that comes out rather then the part deep inside the machine. Also easier to replace if you mess up.
    You could drill a few small holes in the splitter, tap the splitter, or glue or solder on a nut on the outside, then use small screws to adjust.
    Bill D

I have an older Powermatic 71 12" table saw. I recently got a Shark Guard and notice the splitter mounting plate must be out of line with the blade. I was talking with Lee about this and he recommended using an aluminum foil tape. It works good but after taking the splitter off a couple times it gets damaged.

anyone have a better solution??
    I was surprised to hear that one has to do so much work to outfit what is supposed to be a proper after-market product to make it work. Is it just your saw, because it is an older model?

Simon

It's probably the saw, somehow the splitter mounting plate isn't parallel with the blade anymore.

how would that happen? The table warped?
    WoodsShop