Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any One interest on Chinese style hand plane?

Good for you to try Chinese Frame saw, it need some tricks to make the frame saw works for you (or other word training) but as you are good at it, the speed of cutting could be the fastest among all hand saws(including western and Japanese)

Chinese woodworker usually using work "Bench" as Bench, work hold eight is by stops or body weight.
    Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

I did know HNT, they are expansive .....

China and Japan have influenced each other a lot during the centuries but the Chinese people never developed a fascination with steel and ultimate sharpness. Chinese tools seem more utilitarian to me, they are what's needed to get the job done and that's it.

I'm pretty sure that's case by case, if you go to forbidden city those woodwork is top notch not likely down by armature tools. but for most people's home, they don't want to or willing to pay for extra as long as it working.

I saw crappy Japanese tools too, but as they ripped off American using Toyota and Honda, they have enough money to support they local tool maker to make quality tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    China and Japan have influenced each other a lot during the centuries but the Chinese people never developed a fascination with steel and ultimate sharpness. Chinese tools seem more utilitarian to me, they are what's needed to get the job done and that's it.
    I would hesitate to presume never. There are a lot of Chinese swords, weapons out there enshrined in mythology like in many other cultures. A few historical pieces show great attention to detail and aesthetics in some swords. I would presume the certain very large polarizing events of the last 200 years perhaps particularly in the 20th century would've done a number on the perception of steel and any prestige/fascination it might've once garnered. Particularly with the Great Leap thing that had farmers trying to produce steel on a gargantuan scale; inevitably the steel was of poor quality and much of it useless. The attempts at mass production of steel did literally lead to famine that killed millions. I would take a guess that many people became very disinterested in any sort of steel prestige and fascination and honing slips away when you can't eat, or if the steel you're using is subpar.

(hopefully all of ^ doesn't count as politics)

Fast forward to now, there certainly seems to be a pragmatism to the tools used now by the Chinese. I would guess that this is the result of all the things that happened. No renown or fetishization of Chinese steel. Kind of nice in a way actually. Stan's thread with the stunning carvings comes to mind. I think he said they were using some ground hacksaw blades for the carving or something along the lines of that. I made a marking knife out of a hacksaw for very thin dovetail pins the other day with that story in the back of my head.

I think this video might've been shared on this forum before but I'll put the link up again; its a very nice short watch of a Chinese turner. The very short clip of honing is oddly satisfying. Very straightforward and nice work by someone well into their 80s. I know very little about turning but the tool looks like similar to the hook type thing that the Japanese use. I wonder which culture started that.

https://youtu.be/zfpo3MasyKQ

Quote Originally Posted by Chao Dong View Post
    For example, the plane iron normally is bevel up with 50 degree for a smoother plane and could up to 60 degree
    for final finish for rosewood. and cap iron normally is a must.
    I'm curious how you would use a cap iron with a bevel up cutting iron. May be a translation issue?

Back on track...at least for now?
    edge plane, with shavings.jpg
    Traditional Chinese Edge Plane
    fence side.jpg
    Slots hold square nuts, that the bolts for the fence attach to..
    IMAG0052.jpg
    My first attempt to make those slots...ended when the first fence split. Second fence came out better.
    IMAG0053.jpg
    iron for this one was an old lathe chisel....used a skew. Cut almost 1" width. had no nicker. One weekend to build. GE Hong said 6 hours?

Thanks for the video link, I really enjoyed it. And I have actually met the younger man in the video and I got to use a lathe like this in Long Beach, California during the "World Wood Day" celebration in March 2017. It may have been this very lathe.

He was a great guy, he loved introducing people to the lathe and talking about it. Some parts of it are centuries old. Great to see a video of it.

The event in Long Beach was something else. I went every day - and still didn't see everything in depth. There were woodworkers from every continent there.

The event takes place in a different country every year. Here's a link -

http://www.worldwoodday.org/about.php

As far as I know these events are underwritten by a Taiwanese business man whose name escapes me right now and who doesn't seem to have the ego to plaster his name all over the website. I got to meet him, lovely guy. If you get a chance to attend an event you should go.

Good for you to try Chinese Frame saw, it need some tricks to make the frame saw works for you (or other word training) but as you are good at it, the speed of cutting could be the fastest among all hand saws(including western and Japanese)

Chinese woodworker usually using work "Bench" as Bench, work hold eight is by stops or body weight.
    Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG
    Interesting. How high are those benches?

Also, I would like to know more about how to use a Chinese frame saw properly. I made one myself specifically because I wanted a fast cutting saw, but I had trouble making straight and square cuts, especially with the blade at an angle. It was very fast, though!

I'm definitely interested in learning. My current saws and chisels are a mix of English and Japanese, but all my planes are metal English/US style. I briefly had a wooden ECE smoothing plane, but wasn't very good with it. Woodcraft had several models of wooden Chinese planes for a while, but I don't know if they still have them or if they are decent.

sorry, bevel down ... my mistake

benches high is very people to people, normally is about knee cap height
    Xin quansheng the master have a series of how to USE Chinese frame saw in Youtube now, you probably could google it

More pictures would be nice!

As a Chinese guy, I'd like to move more towards Chinese planes.
    My mujingfang and HNT gordon planes are my favorites...very comfortable, and great results.
    My japanese planes are higher performing, but very finicky.
    My western ones perform well, but are heavier and not quite as intuitive.

Do you know a good supplier of Chinese planes?
    I only know about Lee Valley and Japanwoodworker.

-Matt

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG
    I'm assuming this is in mm?

I was thinking of getting an Ikea bench to use as a Chinese style woodworking bench...but found it too rattly.
    I may need to build one.

Do you have any build threads for a Chinese style workbench?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    I'm assuming this is in mm?

I was thinking of getting an Ikea bench to use as a Chinese style woodworking bench...but found it too rattly.
    I may need to build one.

Do you have any build threads for a Chinese style workbench?
    If you have Schwarz’ Roman workbench book there are so me pictures in it of Chinese benches iirc. They are apparently similar. And that’s the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I really haven’t seen much info on Chinese woodworking unless it’s in comparison to Japanese and that mention in Schwarz book.