Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any One interest on Chinese style hand plane?

Any One interest on Chinese style hand plane?

Hey, I'm a Chinese Amateur Woodworker living in Canada.
    Chinese have a unique style of woodworking barely heard in North America,
    they have particular style of woodworking tools as axe, plane, saw, marking, joinery, drill and chisel no one talk-about here.
    Any one interest to know? I could gradually post some treadle when I have time.

P.S. Chinese woodworking is quite difference from Japanese

Hi Chao. Sure, I'd be interested to learn more about unique aspects of Chinese woodworking/tools.

Hi Chao. Welcome! I would enjoy learning about Chinese woodworking, especially cabinet making, furniture making and the tools used.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks guys, Chinese woodworking can be quite versatile as location, different places have slightly different tools.
    In general, Chinese culture more like hardwood than softwood,
    so this cause quite a lot difference regarding tools than Japaneses woodworker. For example, the plane iron normally is bevel up with 50 degree for a smoother plane and could up to 60 degree
    for final finish for rosewood. and cap iron normally is a must. One example from a 1960 book shown a typical northern china jack plane as below
    Capture.PNG
    another funny stuff is they use inches after 1900. but some times mix with a unit system shared with
    japanese with little twist(1分 = 3.33mm, japanese 1分 = 3.03mm), after 1949 they using mm too. so unit conversion
    sometimes is headache

Have had this one in my shop..for a while..
    shavings.jpg
    2" iron, 15" long "jack" plane...

Chao, any experience/knowledge would be very well received and appreciated. I would be particularly interested myself. To echo Steven I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. I think woodworkers tend to be a curious bunch by nature.

Steven; If only I could read Chinese. Shame on me lol, I had to pop it in to google translate, no need to translate to English for me - just the romanizations that appear underneath the text which are actually spot on so I can get (sound out) the full meaning. I discovered that just now. That's going to hurt my brain a little, reading Chinese through the the English alphabet. At least I can speak Chinese fine... sort of.

I'm quite intrigued by Chinese woodworking methods. A time ago, I saw how to make a Chinese bow saw and made one myself with a rotating blade. Never quite got proficient at cutting with it at an angle though.

Do the Chinese generally use a work bench, or planing boards / beams? Work holding often goes hand in hand with tool use, so I'm curious.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Chao and welcome to the Creek.

As Vincent said, "woodworkers tend to be curious."

Even though many may seem to be set in their ways, when no one is watching they might like to try something different.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Even though many may seem to be set in their ways, when no one is watching they might like to try something different.

jtk

Haha. I love this quote! 

Most of the fun for me, with any hobby I have, is exploring and learning new things. Sometimes I realize that I could save a lot of time and money by sticking to one method long enough to get really good at it, but then I think "where's the fun in that?" and then continue to pursue some rabbit hole such as figuring out how to make my own chisels or learning how to cut straight all over again with some different variety of saw using different body mechanics.

Such is the luxury of being a hobbyist, as opposed to a "professional," I guess!

Thank you for taking an interest in the Sawmill Creek forum. I’m another lurker who would enjoy learning about Chinese woodworking methods. Just the bit you’ve shared about the differences from Japanese woodworking is interesting to me. I began learning woodworking from my stepfather, who had lived in Japan and preferred Japanese saws to Western saws, but did not adopt Japanese methods of woodworking.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Myanmar, picture I took in 2014.

The high angle planes from HNT Gordon have Chinese Malasian roots.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I would really like to see a discussion and comparison of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other woodworking traditions from that part of the world --- indulged myself by buying a matching set of Korean chisels (too matching --- there's one which is so close in size to the ones larger and smaller than it that I'll be gifting it to a cousin), and while they're modest tools (tradesman quality I believe) the steel is sharpening up nicely and they seem to hold an edge, and it will be nice to have something from the mother country, and to have a matching set of chisels --- eventually I may relegate them to rough work when I buy something nicer.

There is a bit about Korean woodworking and tools in the wonderful book Traditional Korean Furniture by Man Sill Pai and Edward Reynolds Wright, though I'd love to learn more. Unfortunately, I wasn't especially interested in woodworking when I went to the Korean Folk Village when I was younger.

looks like Chinese Jack plane, no cap iron type

This was made, after following a "how-to" by GE Hong..as was that Jack plane I have..
    IMG_2586 (640x480).jpgIMG_2589 (640x480).jpgcrosscut.jpg
    Wood is Hard Maple.....scraps I had left over...filed as a crosscut saw..18" blade..