Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Use To Mark Your Wood?

What Do You Use To Mark Your Wood?

For the finish measurements, of course I use a fine pencil, however for breaking down sheets and boards, I've been using white chalk, just for gross markings. Problem is, especially on the ply, the chalk is super tuff to get out with sandpaper. When you think you've sanded it out, you really haven't and sometimes it shows up during finishing.
    So, what can I use for marking while I'm just breaking down?

Use pencil all the time. If it's rough timber, use a carpenters pencil, otherwise just use a 2H all the time. It's worked for me for over 40 years. Cheers

Just dont mark up on your work that isnt going to go through surfacing. When I break down on the saw I never mark anything, I just set the fence and go. For hardwoods I use chalk but not on finish surfaced material, only rough or material that is going to go through the planer or sander.

Eliminating marking anywhere possible is a major production increase. The less time you have to pull your pencil out of your ear, your hat, your pouch, pocket, mouth, whatever, the faster you will be. Same for pulling your tape out of your pouch.

Dont wonder about what to mark with... wonder about how not to have to mark in the first place.

When I am cutting finish material like prefinished moldings or parts that are finish ready I use a utility knife that lives in the leg pocket of my pants. No pencil to sharpen, no issues as it dulls and the line gets thicker, and so on. Its a dead sharp line, doesnt need to be a flat sided marking knife, utility knife rolled over at a slight angle is just as accurate. and you cut right on the knife mark and there is no evidence of the mark and no cleanup.

Thanks. Recently, I made a large box out of thin ply. I used the chalk to mark the parts, before box jointing all the edges, so I wouldn't get confused as to their orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Thanks. Recently, I made a large box out of thin ply. I used the chalk to mark the parts, before box jointing all the edges, so I wouldn't get confused as to their orientation.
    In an instance like that if you will really face an issue getting rid of the mark/chalk perhaps just a piece of blue tape and mark on that.

As with so much in this world a lot of it depends on your work flow. We work with a lot of rough material and fence/stop cut material so there isnt a tremendous need for marking and when there is it can be done on a surface that is going to be completely removed in another operation.

If I had to mark a surface that wasnt going to tolerate a lot of cleanup/sanding Id probably go the tape route.

I use chalk on rough lumber and pencil on sheet goods; sometimes red pencil and sometimes regular pencil.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

rOtring 600 0.5mm to mark anything/everything wood (LINK)

Or 0.7mm if I need a thicker line, which I rarely do (LINK) or (LINK)
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 09-20-2018 at 5:20 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

As Mark said, Blue Tape if a pencil mark is not working for you. Blue Tape is slower to use, but does the job well. I've always been able to erase a light pencil mark off of smooth material without any impact to the final finishing. I have a couple of white and pink bigger erasers laying around the shop.
    David

White and pink chalk for rough work (the pink shows up better on light wood). Lumber crayon for really rough work/framing. Occasionally I'll use chalk on a semi-finished piece and a wet rag seems to take it all off.

Blog Entries
    Chalk here as well. Rough material will get it milled off, smooth stuff like sheet goods, it wipes off with a damp paper towel.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks. I'll try the wet towel on the chalk.

A few comments:

chalk can can be mostly be removed with denatured alcohol (less water in it) and dries quickly.Then a light sanding if still needed.

use different colored painters tape for different components or different groups of components. I have at least 4 different colors, marking on them with a black marker or red pens or other depending on what is being marked. I may use blue for left side components and yellow for right, maybe blue for front and yellow for back, etc.

Blog Entries
    I normally mark with a pencil, sometimes I will mark with a razor knife. That allows taking a one sided relief on the mark and provides
    a shoulder to cut against.

Blog Entries
    I use yellow or white chalk. I've never had a problem with it showing up in finishing. As others have said wipe it off with a damp towel or use blue tape.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don’t use chalk anymore. Showed up in the finish because it was stuck in the pores of walnut. Not sure how i missed it it been a while but I remember it was a L or R that I mark.
    I use a pencil for everything or a piece of blue tape.
    Aj