Thread: Workbench/desk Combo - Casters help

Workbench/desk Combo - Casters help

I upcycle a kitchen island structure into a work bench/office desk. The top is still missing. The top will be made out of two layers of 3/4 ply: Top will be nicely finished and the bottom layer will be made for MFT 20mm bench dogs. The problem is which casters. It looks like casters have min 3" wide plate. Do you have any suggestion for small plate caster that will be mount on 2 1/2 legs? Currently the workbench has furniture round caster (very ugly and old) that need ro be replaced. Thanks in advance. I can add a square block of the same opak of the legs but I am concern that it will compromise stability. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you want to keep the unit mobile in your shop, I recommend you buy some quality double locking (brake and swivel both lock) casters. I use them from Lee Valley, but noticed that even Home Depot has a similar product. I don't recommend you do tiny wheels...3" or 4" is a nice sweet spot for in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You could put another sheet of plywood under the entire bottom to bolt the 3 or 4" casters to

Why are you limiting yourself to plate mounted casters? If you're working with legs, which have a limited area on the bottom, use stem mount casters. Yes, you'll have to bore a hole up into the leg, but it seems like you're already committed to modifying the cabinet.

Jamie, the original legs had casters (it was a kitchen cart). They look like chair casters (round). this means that the old set up was: a stem in the caster and a socket in the leg. Measuring with a caliper the socket has a OD of 0.390". Not sure what will fit. In fact most of the stem are 1/2". I had the impression that plate casters are more stable. I can go either way, I just need a reliable supplier I can buy from. I want a quality product without breaking the bank with total break. I would hate to replace them in a short time and I do not plan to move the desk/workbench every day anyway. I think I can easily stay under 300Lb load. I would prefer a nice color but I guess...casters are not that fancy. .

10mm Laura...
    --

Thanks for all the replies. I am still looking for suggestion on total lock casters that you have purchased that have the following characteristics:
    1) NOT marking hardwood floors
    2) have full locks
    3) have a capacity/load of 250/300 Lb per caster
    4) are good quality
    Please provide article # or link to an on-line supplier. Thanks in advance
    Thanks

A great source for casters in general is castercity.com. They do have non-marking versions. In the woodworking world, Lee Valley has some excellent offers, too...I regularly use their double-locking casters for tack trunk commissions and also in my home.
    --

Blog Entries
    You have some advantage if you are rolling on hardwood floors. I am assuming you will not have the usual detritus that a shop floor has where large woodworking tool are operated. This may allow you to get away with smaller diameter wheels. As to the fastening method, stem casters are as reliable as the material they are inserted into. Thin walls or poor material choices can blow out due to lateral stress.

Any sort of locking caster is going to have to mount so that the locking mechanism is reachable. This means you caster really has to become part of your design's height and look. Casters like these are a nice no-show option but, do not lock. If you will be applying force to the work surface and need dual lock, something like (not necessarily just like) these are my go-to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I finally bought the casters (Woodcraft). Now the problem of installation. I will open another Thread. Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Jamie, the legs are too small to increase the size of a hole that it is already there. It will split the leg. They are not even 2" wide. Great idea, though.