Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Crazy?

Am I Crazy?

I have had 4 different Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes over the years and have sold them all, except for a LN block plane. I just prefer old Stanley planes. It has nothing to do with the price difference. I think LN and LV handles are too small and the overall weight is too heavy. LN planes just don't feel good in my hands, but Stanleys fit just right. Anytime I buy a Stanley plane I get a new Hock blade to fit. Usually a little clean up and sole flattening is all they need. I have a No. 4 that cuts much, much better than the LN low angle smoother that I had for a while.

The one exception is the LN No. 60 1/2. Hands down the best block plane I have ever used.

Anyone else prefer Stanleys based on performance and fit, not price?

Quote Originally Posted by David Justice View Post
    I have had 4 different Lie Nielsen and Veritas planes over the years and have sold them all, except for a LN block plane. I just prefer old Stanley planes. It has nothing to do with the price difference. I think LN and LV handles are too small and the overall weight is too heavy. LN planes just don't feel good in my hands, but Stanleys fit just right. Anytime I buy a Stanley plane I get a new Hock blade to fit. Usually a little clean up and sole flattening is all they need. I have a No. 4 that cuts much, much better than the LN low angle smoother that I had for a while.

The one exception is the LN No. 60 1/2. Hands down the best block plane I have ever used.

Anyone else prefer Stanleys based on performance and fit, not price?

David,

Nope not crazy. Many of us prefer early Stanley Bailey type planes. More after walking the dogs.

ken

Mine are older Stanleys, and a few Millers Falls....still getting used to the WR No. 62....

You are definitely crazy -- not!

Paul Sellers has been promoting the use of vintage tools, not just planes, since he became an internet sensation. He himself has some Veritas handplanes, including notably the Veritas router plane, spokeshaves, etc. which he has blogged about a couple of times, but apparently no LN brand (probably he thinks LN and Stanley are essentially the same thing).

I have heard people complain about the Veritas handle design (their new custom planes offer both Veritas and Stanley style handles), but I have had no issues with both styles. I suspect many hand tool users hold a plane with dead grips, and hence the discomfort with one style or another. Sellers is one of those who hold a plane right -- no dead grips whatsoever on the handle or knob. If you get a chance to see him work in person, you will understand what I am talking about. That is why he can plane without tiring himself -- he relies on a sharp blade and relaxed planing to do his trick.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 09-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    To me the Bailey style is preferred over the flat top Bedrock.

If my old Stanley/Bailey planes can be tuned to the point of taking a shaving finer than 0.001" or as fat as 0.016" what more can be asked of it to do?

To me they look fine on the bench or shelf with their battle scars and patina of age.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-20-2018 at 2:28 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I do like my LN #4 a little better than my two Stanley smoothers. But I had to put a Hock O1 blade in it before that was true- I did not care for the original A2 blade at all.

It's not that the Stanley's aren't as capable, but the LN is the one I reach for first. Totally subjective (although there is less apparent vibration in the cut, which could just be the dampening effect of extra mass). It's heavier but I have not yet noticed fatigue being an issue for the planing jobs I've done.

"I have a No. 4 that cuts much, much better than the LN low angle smoother that I had for a while."

Two different animals. A better, but needless, comparison is to the LN#4.

I like my Stanleys fine. I like my LNs fine. I like my Veritases fine.

I never understood the need to make a blanket statement about planes. Everyone but me seems to feel the need to be in one camp. A good plane is a good plane. Some cost a lot and are new, some are great finds and perfect and have lasted 75 years. The existence of one does not negate the value of the other.

Use what makes you feel good and makes a good product. Other proclamations are moot - as is my very engaging in this thread

I agree with Prashun. A finely tuned old plane can be as good as any Veritas or LN. The rest is just aesthetic/ergonomic/based on your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasin Haroon View Post
    I agree with Prashun. A finely tuned old plane can be as good as any Veritas or LN. The rest is just aesthetic/ergonomic/based on your budget.
    You added an important qualifier there: finely tuned.

Many beginner hand tool users have neither the time/interest nor the skill to get a rusty old Stanley to good working shape. For them (who can afford the budget), the new planes from LN, Veritas, WR, etc. are the easiest path to starting their hand tool journey. These modern plane makers set their sights on those who enjoy "out of the box" experience in addition to the seasoned woodworkers who enjoy the improvements made to those planes.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I take pride in my collection of Bedrock Planes with Veritas irons and breakers.
    I have a 604, 605, and a 607.

Dogs walked.

Bailey type planes were developed over many years to the point where the sum is greater than the parts. Change too much and the system becomes unbalanced. The Stanley cap iron works better as a chip breaker than replacement chip breakers. As best I can tell thicker irons bring nothing to the table other than additional weight. I have most of the LN planes and a number of cltasic and New style LV planes setting in the plane rack along with the type 13 and earlier Stanley’s. I will usually reach for one of the Stanley’s

BTW, Ray Iles and Stew offer thin replacement cutters that work much better than the thicker irons from other sources.

ken

Maybe the same kinds of things are said on guitar player forums, but the musicians I know may have their favorite instruments, but never feel the need to rank theirs as objectively better than others. The debates on SMC about old/new seem to smell of superiority in using old iron. I'm much more impressed by the maker's hand and eye than his toolbox or wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The debates on SMC about old/new seem to smell of superiority in using old iron.
    There is?

I thought people would feel superior when they show their fancy $300 coping saw or what have you than the guy who has been scooping out the same kind of waste with his $10 gear for the past 20 years. At least that is the kind of feeling I get when I read some of the Instagram comments. That observation of mine applies not just to hand tools but to power tools, too. "The newer, the better!" seems to be a trendy thing. Skill? What about it?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    There is?

I thought people would feel superior when they show their fancy $300 coping saw or what have you than the guy who has been scooping out the same kind of waste with his $10 gear for the past 20 years. At least that is the kind of feeling I get when I read some of the Instagram comments. That observation of mine applies not just to hand tools but to power tools, too. "The newer, the better!" seems to be a trendy thing. Skill? What about it?

Simon
    Frankly, it is both and it permeates every corner of the internet. Show pictures of a surgically clean shop with Martin machines, a wall of Festool Systainers, Holtey planes, sets of Japanese chisels by master blacksmiths and a LN bench and I guarantee there will be lots of "tools don't make the furniture the man does". Just because one has several hundred grand to drop on their hobby doesn't mean they aren't good at it. While snark is less likely to be openly projected at very modest shops I guarantee there are a bunch of people thinking how can they build anything with all those rusty old tools.

The internet is full of people that need to find the high ground in their position, they need to think their way is superior. Everyone is guilty of it to some extent but often the mob mentality allows it to become obnoxious.

More to the OP. Planes like most Neander tools are very intimate and thus ergonomics are extremely important. I am personally surprised Paul Sellers and many others don't prefer the more upright Veritas handles based on their angle of attack. Ergonomics outweigh most everything else with handtools especially when the rest of the performance metrics are similar.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Just because one has several hundred grand to drop on their hobby doesn't mean they aren't good at it.
    I know a guy who has a well-equipped and spacious shop (many retirees have lots of disposable income) and all the power conduits and dust collection ducts run under the floor. He makes fine pieces with his machinery, from tables to chairs to cabinets. Not a hand tool guy, but he is very good at what he does (partly because he also has the time). Then, not too long ago, I also saw a guy using an Adria (discontinued now?) and overcutting almost every tenon he cut. He said he did not like those filmsy light-weight backsaws!

Simon