Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toilet Repair - Again and Again.....Help

If I were in your situation I would replace the toilet. They are not that hard to do yourself if you feel inclined. The Toto toilet in our master bath seems like a very good toilet for the price. Others have mentioned them because they are well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Fluidmaster parts work for years, for me anyway.

And, very inexpensive and widely available.

Marc
    I replace Fluidmaster about every 6 months. So, not an option for me.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Toilet tanks & valves seem to be the most mysterious parts of the house. Had one that drove me nuts. replaced valves etc. Finally had a list of things for a plumber to do and it was one of them. Took him about three minutes. He cut something with his pocket knife and the thing has been flawless for a year. He never even took the thing apart. The piece of plastic he cut off looked like a sliver of a black. It makes no sense to me. Toilet tanks and valves look like they should be easy to comprehend. They are not. They are evidence that there are supernatural beings in there, whose great desire is that sound of running water.

I know this isn’t the solution you’re looking for, but I’ve all but given up on plumbing issues in the house. Too many trips to the BORG for parts, too many leaks, too many tight spaces to try to work in. I’ve found a plumbing company that is prompt, reasonably priced, and just gets the job done right. I just spent $120 to have a toilet on/off valve and all new stuff in the tank replaced. I’d do it again in a minute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I replace Fluidmaster about every 6 months. So, not an option for me.
    When you replace a part is the previous part inspected for signs of reasons it failed?

You may have a supply line or valve that is the source of the problem. It might be your water is hard as others have suggested. My previous home had iron pipe. There were constant problems with the plumbing. Currently my home uses plastic pipe. Even with a high iron content in the well water there have only been two plumbing problems in the past ten years if you don't count the water heater having an element go bad.

Are you on a well or a municipal water supply?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When you replace a part is the previous part inspected for signs of reasons it failed?

You may have a supply line or valve that is the source of the problem. It might be your water is hard as others have suggested. My previous home had iron pipe. There were constant problems with the plumbing. Currently my home uses plastic pipe. Even with a high iron content in the well water there have only been two plumbing problems in the past ten years if you don't count the water heater having an element go bad.

Are you on a well or a municipal water supply?

jtk
    Jim,
    I'm on municipal water and I've been told by several people that we have some of the best water in the state. Our water supply is from a local lake, treated, filtered, and then severed out of the local areas. I think it's just strange that my hallway bathroom doesn't have the same problem as the master bath and I have 2 young men (my youngest sons) that live here with us and that's their bathroom. I have had to replace faucet valves springs and seals at least once since we've lived here (since March 2000). Both toilets are "Crane" toilets, standard height, elongated front, 2-piece toilets.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I put Caroma toilets (Australian design) in the last house and they were great until I moved here. I suppose they are still going strong. Put the same in this house when we built it. Never had a moment of trouble with any.

Blog Entries
    I think it's just strange that my hallway bathroom doesn't have the same problem as the master bath and I have 2 young men (my youngest sons) that live here with us and that's their bathroom. I have had to replace faucet valves springs and seals at least once since we've lived here (since March 2000).
    This makes me wonder about things such as is the hall bathroom closer to the supply line?

Are the service valves for the two toilets the same?

Asking again, were the failing parts inspected to see if any cause of failure could be determined. In my previous house the parts often had small bits of rust embedded. That meant either replacing all the plumbing or getting used to repairing the faucets and plumbing.

One time my problem was caused by the line between the service valve and the tank. It was a flexible line and the material inside was breaking down and messing with the toilet's fill valve.

My experience with cock and ball valves is that they should not be used. The newer ones that are available in the big box stores seem to work fine and do not have metal parts to react with water borne contaminants.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had more success with parts from plumbing suppliers than from the Borg. Where are you getting your parts?
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 09-26-2018 at 10:26 PM.