Thread: Hand Cut Box Joint

Hand Cut Box Joint

Just cut some box joints by hand (used a band saw to make the straight cuts in). It's almost like dovetails but easier.

Why would I do that instead of using the TS or router? A few reasons.

First, I like hand tool work and tolerate power tools.

Then there is the chipout problem with cutting them in plywood.

With a jig it is easier to make a mistake and cut one wrong.

Last time I made a box joint the jig didn't work out so well so I would need to make something better. Not a big deal, just one more thing.

Worked out well and not too slow. Doubt if I will ever mess with a jig again.

Tom,

Wow. I've tried them with a bandsaw and I gave up because there was too much setup involved. Pretty sure I built a jig faster than I would have spent setting up the saw.

Just a couple comments on your points:

1. Tear out is usually minimum if you use a good quality blade + zero clearance backer board.

2. Once set up, the only mistake you can really make with a jig is putting a side in upside down or mismatching the cuts. But there is a pretty foolproof method to avoid this and once you get going its pretty easy to get the hang of it.

3. Yes, I agree making a jig can be a bit fiddly. Check William Ng he has a pretty straight forward way.

I'm not telling you to stop what you're doing hand work can be very rewarding (mostly to the craftsman).

No jig..
    Chisel.jpg
    Unless you count using the width of a chisel
    end view.jpg

Blog Entries
    I actually find it more difficult than dovetails if using a handsaw. However, if I draw them out and free hand cut on the bandsaw to the waste, it works pretty well.

That said, I tend to stick with dovetails because it's more second nature. In actually, because of that, they should be better than they are!

Blog Entries
    I use a sled and cross cut the joint on the table saw. The board is held vertical.

One other reason to hand cut; It's easy to vary the width of the tails for structural or aesthetic reasons.

Robert
    I mark them out and just cut by eye along the lines then chisel out the tails, no setup needed.

I cut one board first then use it to mark the other. If I want to throw in a wide tail or even a dovetail as I go, no problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Robert
    I mark them out and just cut by eye along the lines then chisel out the tails, no setup needed.

I cut one board first then use it to mark the other. If I want to throw in a wide tail or even a dovetail as I go, no problem.
    Never considered mixing the two - going to try that as it certainly is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Just cut some box joints by hand (used a band saw to make the straight cuts in).
    Why a bandsaw was needed?

Simon

Quicker than a backsaw? Maybe? I prefer to use a backsaw for mine.

Blog Entries
    In addition to the sled, I use dado blades.

Hmmm...see IF I can remember..
    spacing layout.jpg
    Used the chisel to mark the finger spacings on the two long sides of a box..
    saw works.jpg
    Bandsaw? On these, I can either split the lines( usually) or saw on the waste side
    sawn lines.jpg
    Because once the waste is chopped out, I use the fingers to lay out the cuts to match...LEAVING the lines..
    chopped out.jpg
    Used the same chisel that laid out the spacings. Chop a bit from one face, flip over and chop down ( be prepared, them little squares will fly straight back at you)

Use these to mark out the matching fingers, saw on the waste side of the lines, chop out the waste, test fit the corner..
    IMAG0008.jpg
    By doing that halfway chop on the face side, then chop down from the "inside", makes a cleaner joint.
    chopping.jpg
    This is about all you need to do ( board underneath was to protect the top of my bench) flip this over..
    Chisel.jpg
    Chisel can then pop the waste out.