Thread: Found used overarm Bies guard at swap meet. mounted shark guard to it

Found used overarm Bies guard at swap meet. mounted shark guard to it

Just wanted to post some pics of this. I searched the internet for someone who'd done this but found nothing. Just in case someone in the future wants to see how someone else did it.. Here's how I did it...

Found the guard at the local swap meet. got it for $35 bucks ( which is awesome Came with everything except a missing threaded knob and mounting hardware. I did not like the original basket as it had no dust collection port. but i was hoping to either modify it or adapt my shark guard to it. After a few tries I found a way that seems to work perfectly. But its required some mods.

First I had to modify the metal rod that is used to release the guard from the upper position ( for when the guard is not in use. like when crosscutting.) I planned on heating it and bending it upward as it was blocking any hose from going into the dust port on the top of the sharkguard. It ended up snapping but works well with its shortened length. I just grab the rod and pull it out of the detent position when dropping it down. the only other mod was to drill holes for the wood block used to mount the arm to the top of the guard itself. All in all, a very easy mod.

The arm to guard attachment does not look like much but definitely feels very solid in use. In fact, the original basket was mounted with 4 screws straight into the lexan. So it does not seem to need much. the hose is a home depot aftermarket shop vac hose using a 2" ID to 2" OD fernco rubber adapter. Between the guard and the 3hp Super dust gorilla dust collection is great and visibility is also good. the whole thing is on wheels and the outfield table folds up and out of the way when not in use to allow the wife's car into the garage when I'm not in the middle of a project.

I am really happy with it but need to put it into some real use to confirm. I did a nut and bolt restoration of my 53' unison about 10 years ago. And the saw finally feels done! At least I hope so. I have had one kickback many years back when I wore a plywood panel in the stomach after forgetting to put the splitter back in . That sucked enough to get me to start using whatever I need to to keep me safe. Between the shark guard and the magtite feather board system I find safe ways to make most cuts. I also use the gripper for some operations. But the splitter mounted guard was inconvenient enough to make me desire a good overarm system. I think with this latest upgrade I should be good for a bit. Or at least till I can wedge a euro slider into the garage

IMG_2343.jpgIMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpgIMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg

Very nice, good job.

Nice Unisaw too.

Ed

Looks very nice, well done.

I love having an overhead guard..............Rod.

Blog Entries
    Worked out great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like it. Nice clean setup.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I like that. You have some really cool old iron ,did you rebuild the drill press and bandsaw as well? Nice Unisaw,I have a soft spot for the old Delta/Rockwell stuff. I also own a sharkguard and unisaw,now you have me thinking....

I did restore the Delta 28-350 bandsaw as well. Its also dated to the 50's. its a great machine. It had a 3/4hp Repulsion induction motor that was not original to it. Underpowered as it was I found a used
    OEM 1.5hp Delta/marathon motor for it. It was 3 phase and would have been available as the most powerful option on these originally. The motor weights bout 80lbs on its own. I wired it up to a vfd and now its has variable speed and magnetic breaking on shut down. It worked out real well.

IMG_2350.jpgIMG_2349.jpgIMG_2351.jpg

The drill press I did not restore but bought it after someone had gone through it. It was the machine that turned me on to old wood working machines. I've had it for about 12 years. Added the light and the table and use the orphaned 3/4 hp motor from the bandsaw as ballast( its kind of a tippy machine. )

IMG_2353.jpgIMG_2352.jpg

And since i'm on the subject Here is the uni after I brought it home. Its got the massive 1 hp RI Bullet motor. And I can't really say I've ever felt it to be underpowered. It never argued with what I've asked it to do. Its been a great saw and I'dllikely only sell it for a euro slider if I ever start crapping money.

IMG_0913 copy.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have a similar setup om my 10" Delta Contractor Saw.