Thread: I give (sometimes!)

I give (sometimes!)

Was working on putting 1/16” groves around the perimeter of a 3/4” table top for some stringing. I carefully scribe the grooves with a LV inlay tool and then switch to the LV router plane with guide and begin on the back side. Tiny little shavings at a time. But the crazy grain in this piece of mahogany just wasn’t going to make it easy. After about an hour of switching the guide from side to side, working little sections at a time, I still had some tear out (the groove is just an 1/8” inch in from the edge). And only one groove done.

But hey, I’m a neanderthal (for the most part), and I persevere. When done, I took a step back and examining my work, I humbly decide it is a complete and utter mess. Ok, I give.

I planed the entire edges back to a smooth surface, drive myself 30 minutes to the local Rockler and purchase a 1/16” slot cutter. The grooves turned out perfectly with 15 minutes of set up and 10 minutes of routing. Sometimes you just have to cry uncle and plug in.

Amen brother

Was working on putting 1/16” groves around the perimeter of a 3/4” table top for some stringing. I carefully scribe the grooves with a LV inlay tool and then switch to the LV router plane with guide and begin on the back side. Tiny little shavings at a time. But the crazy grain in this piece of mahogany just wasn’t going to make it easy.
    Phil, I would have scored the lines (as I understand you did with the inlay tool), but then not used the router plane. Rather than removing waste by working with the grain, it would have been safer to work with a chisel across the grain. The router plane only comes in (if at all) once you are below the surface, where tearout is no longer a threat.

Regards from Perth

Dere

I feel your pain Phil.

Blog Entries
    Blasphemy! Hang your head in shame and route efficiently ever after
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good suggestion Derek. I might also clamp a caul to hold the grain down and chisel toward that.

Ideally, yes, Derek. I couldn’t muster up the patience to chisel a 1/16” scribed groove for over 10 linear feet. I’ve always believed patience is one of the most needed disciplines in good woodworking. I also believe a $25 bit can help save a bit of patience for other tasks. For example, I’m currently making curved grooves using the Latta Radius Cutter. It’s an excellent tool, but is still taking about an hour per leg. Much better use of my patience for this project, at least in my mind.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 09-22-2018 at 10:42 AM.

I understand your situation. I grew up using power tools, then tried to do everything I could with hand tools, and now choose which one (or use both) depending on the situation. It's not a failure to use power. It's just not as fun.

The router is one of my least favorite power tools to use, but mine still comes off the shelf often enough. I would have done the same in your situation.

I started woodworking using power tools only. Then I got into the slippery slope of neander life (purchased way more hand tools than I would ever need), and did everything by hand, even if I hated it. It stopped being fun, and my productivity decreased. Now I use both power tools and hand tools. I find it's a lot more balanced and efficient approach. I do the fun things by hand, and most stock prep and ripping gets done by power tools, faster and better than I could hope to do. This balance has also spread to my tool habits - I sold off most of my extra tools, and even though I still have more than I should (no one needs 3 sets of 'nice' chisels, and planes of every size) at least it all fits in my shop now.

I agree Hasin. Life is full of contradictions; we enjoy hand tool woodworking but for most it is just not practical. We revere the purist Neander who eschews all power, realizing he probably has exquisitely developed skills by necessity. We value that pathway and even walk it sometimes but stray into power to find equilibrium in our pursuits.

Understand Phil......Sometimes we all have to adjust in a practical manner to get job done...
    I sometimes turn to power tools to get an objective done quickly. Particularly when it is a large, tedious project...
    Suppose its my impatient nature,,
    Jerry