Thread: Jet 15" planer anti-kickback finger issue

Jet 15" planer anti-kickback finger issue

A couple of years ago, I rebuilt a badly neglected Jet 15" four post planer. I replaced the cutter with a spiral carbide head and got the gearbox back into working order. Quite the education! Only recently have I got around to some fine tuning of the infeed and outfield rollers.

While trying to run some test pieces through the machine, I am finding that the anti-kickback fingers seem to bind up periodically and prevent boards from passing through. I feel like there may be an issue with the chipbreaker since one of the two rods holding it in place is just above the anti-kickback fingers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. So close!

Steve

I am starting to wonder if the fingers were installed correctly - the toothed surface is pointing more into the machine than downward. Not looking forward to pulling the retaining rings and the bar that holds the fingers and spacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    A couple of years ago, I rebuilt a badly neglected Jet 15" four post planer. I replaced the cutter with a spiral carbide head and got the gearbox back into working order. Quite the education! Only recently have I got around to some fine tuning of the infeed and outfield rollers.

While trying to run some test pieces through the machine, I am finding that the anti-kickback fingers seem to bind up periodically and prevent boards from passing through. I feel like there may be an issue with the chipbreaker since one of the two rods holding it in place is just above the anti-kickback fingers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. So close!

Steve
    Hi, when you replace the head, unless the cutting circle is exactly identical to the original head, the pressure bar, infeed roller, outfeed roller and chip breaker if fitted will be out of adjustment.

The anti-kickback fingers may be as well, however they normally have a lot of free play so they are usually OK.

You're going to need the adjustment specifications for your planer, then adjust everything according to the dimensions supplied.........Regards, Rod.

P.S. if it has bed rollers I suggest you remove them or set them slightly below the bed.

I recently fixed up a Delta RC-33, and mistakenly installed the fingers incorrectly. All I can tell you is you can easily install them incorrectly, it won’t be until you push something through them that you’ll see they don’t rotate correctly.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply. I learned that I installed the fingers backwards. I also learned that the exploded diagram in the manual has them drawn in the backwards configuration. Sounds like you are not a fan of the table rollers. I had considered raising them a few thou above the bed. I guess I will wait and see if bed friction is an issue.

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply. I learned that I installed the fingers backwards. I also learned that the exploded diagram in the manual has them drawn in the incorrect orientation. I know this after looking at a diagram from a similar Grizzly planer.

Sounds like you are not a fan of the table rollers. I had considered raising them a few thou above the bed. I guess I will wait and see if bed friction is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    I am starting to wonder if the fingers were installed correctly - the toothed surface is pointing more into the machine than downward. Not looking forward to pulling the retaining rings and the bar that holds the fingers and spacers!
    Steve
    I have my original owners manual of this machine, from 1998, and on page 10, figures 19 and 20, the orientation of the fingers has the toothed section "pointed" more toward the front, infeed, of the machine.
    I don't have a working scanner, but I can take a picture of the page if it would help you.

PS
    I am not a fan of the table rollers either. They're a pain to keep adjusted correctly.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)