Thread: Ellipse

Ellipse

Hello once again everyone here's my latest piece "Ellipse" Ellipse is a piece that is made from 6 turnings cut apart and reattached, the carved portion is Mahogany the main body base and ring are Teak. The piece is 10" x 10" the coloring was done w/ a combination of wood dye and Deco Art Metallics Acrylic paint and then finished w/ lacquer. The carved portion is a shell that fits around the main body, and the center section can be moved how ever you chose and the carved shell is removable as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Nicely done, not sure how you turned a piece that would fit so nicely around the other piece though, but looks like it did a good job. I've often wondered how some people do something like your piece but do it from one piece but looks like yours when finished, just can't figure out the process on how they do that.

Ron thank you for taking time to comment, The carved section was made after making the main body; the main body (vase) was made by turning two bowls the same size and gluing them together. After that a third bowl was turned, cut in half and glued together in the other direction sanding to a perfect fit first then carved. The base came from the rings center and then another piece was turned and fit into the center removing the spigot first, one more piece was then made matching the curves of both the ring and base so they could be glued together.
    Last edited by Bruce Jones; 09-20-2018 at 6:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Ron thank you for taking to comment, The carved section was made after making the main body; the main body (vase) was made by turning two bowls the same size and gluing them together. After that a third bowl was turned, cut in half and glued together in the other direction sanding to a perfect fit first then carved. The base came from the rings center and then another piece was turned and fit into the center removing the spigot first, one more piece was then made matching the curves of both the ring and base so they could be glued together.
    Thanks for explaining how it was done, always cool to learn new methods and your piece inspires me to try new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stadler View Post
    Thanks for explaining how it was done, always cool to learn new methods and your piece inspires me to try new things.
    Your welcome Ron glad to help a fellow turner.