Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shop is loud!!!

New shop is loud!!!

Our boss built us a new shop 32x45x12
    Compared to the old shop 20x30x10 it is deafening
    So very loud, even the air cleaner is loud
    Any tricks to dampen the sound in here ?
    Carpe Lignum

How is the shop constructed?

Loud spaces are often related to flat rigid surfaces.. You may find some relief as you fill the walls with lumber racks and shelving and let the shavings pile up on the floor. If it persists, you could consult an acoustical engineer about hanging sound baffles from the ceiling- doubtless there are spare funds in the construction budget.

I was involved in a couple of sound booth projects that made use of (quite expensive) "flutterboard", t&g wood panels with milled fins of various heights attached to walls and ceilings- not practical for a shop but you get the idea.

I am currently finishing a guest bedroom in my house lined with drywall and hardwood flooring. The acoustical quality of the room was drastically altered by removing the furniture for the project.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 09-19-2018 at 7:01 PM.

The same thing that "loud restaurants need to do has to be done in the shop...reduce reflections and have sound absorbent materials/panels in place to help lower the din.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd start with a question...what is the source of the noise? Give us more information so people here can help, is it with airplanes landing overhead, air cleaner, or one certain tool running?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I'd start with a question...what is the source of the noise? Give us more information so people here can help, is it with airplanes landing overhead, air cleaner, or one certain tool running?
    the air cleaner is loud
    the skill saw is loud
    saw stop contactor table saw is badd
    the 1.5hp delta dust collector is loud
    air compressor is deafening

building is sticked framed 2x6, insulated, osb sheating inside and out
    metal siding and roof
    ceiling is sheetrock

Lumber racks are full and cover half the wall space

ceiling baffles?
    How do thos get installed?!?
    Carpe Lignum

One shop I worked in was so loud the owner was required provide the employees disposable earplugs. Some employees opted to double up and purchase their own pair of earmuffs. I’m not sure if this was part of the requirement or not, but the owner also did yearly ear testing. A Portable ear testing truck came in and tested three employees at a time(10min/ea). The ear truck was there for almost a day.

The owner put up block walls to separate the louder noise areas. He put the air compressor in a Block wall room. He hung mass load vinyl strips on any of the forklift doors and put insulated garage doors. Some machines were put on their own footings 10 feet below the concrete floor that had a lot of vibration in them. The ceiling and some of the walls were outfitted with dense Rockwool board.

A Independent company walked around at lunchtime and found that just the air leaks from compressed air to be a huge culprit. Once a month the maintenance department had to walk around on lunch hour, tag and document any air leaks to be fixed with a work order.

Thanks for describing the new shop.
    Since the same machines were moved into a larger space I think it's interesting the environment is so much louder.
    You know how the old shop was constructed and the machines were arranged, what's different in the new shop ?
    If the old shop was a metal building with the commercial soft faced exposed insulation that might explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    Thanks for describing the new shop.
    Since the same machines were moved into a larger space I think it's interesting the environment is so much louder.
    You know how the old shop was constructed and the machines were arranged, what's different in the new shop ?
    If the old shop was a metal building with the commercial soft faced exposed insulation that might explain it.
    Pretty much the same construction except the ceiling was 9’ or 10’

Wait till some dust accumulates????

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    One shop I worked in was so loud the owner was required provide the employees disposable earplugs.
    Pretty sure that's an osha requirement just about anywhere an employee wishes.

My new shop is significantly louder than the old one. Higher ceilings, more square footage. Things just echo more.

I wear ear protection basically all day, every single day. It's a loud job no matter how you look at it. Get three or four guys working it makes a lot of racket. There's very few operations that I feel don't warrant ear plugs or muffs.

13. A acoustical ceiling tile is probably the least expensive place to start.
    Heavy rubber anti-fatigue mats and runners would deaden a concrete floor with the added benefit of saving your feet/knees.

Several years ago, I made a "noise shield" for a stationary air compressor. Cut 4 2'x6' sheets of 1/4" plywood, hinged pairs of them on the long side so they would stand up on their own and lined one side with some "egg-crate" foam material. Set the shields up to sort of enclose the compressor - cut the noise considerably. Sorry I don't have pics - we moved recently and the compressor got left behind.

Something similar might help you out with your compressor and dust collector, if they're stationary - if you're moving them around, it would be clumsy. I suppose you could also attach panels like that to your ceiling to change the acoustics in the shop.

The foam I used was just a mattress topper - you can get them for a full size bed (~ 4'x6') for about $15, so not a big investment if you want to experiment.

Approaching if from a different angle.....Drop some tarps or foam insulation or even a blanket at 6-8 foot intervals from the top, crossways probably 4 feet drop................Would cut reverberation dramatically. I added a shop vac filter to the input of my 60 gallon compressor and it dramatically cut the noise! Lost all the high frequency partials and much more bearable! I spent many years in the music industry, dif capacities, and reverb is both a blessing and a curse