Thread: Hinge Quality

Hinge Quality

Are there any hinges that the quality is in between the big box and Brusso?

I am looking for something that fit a bit better than the generic hiinges you get at the big box stores, but not quite the fit (and cost) of Brusso.

Anybody have a direction to go?

Blog Entries
    Lea Valley has some hardware that has served me well. What function? Door, box lid, other?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sorry, it is for a box lid. I had in mind to add that they would be a surface mount hinge, but obviously forgot.
    Somewhere about 1" in length.

Are the ones from McMaster Carr about the same quality as box store?
    Last edited by Jay Larson; 09-19-2018 at 3:08 PM.

I would look at sources such as Horton Brasses and Brusso if you want high quality hinges. Also Whitechapel, Ltd.

Horton Brass is good to deal with and a bit cheaper than some of the finer hinges. I would be careful what you get from Lee Valley for hinges. I have had some imports shipped to me that I was not overly pleased with.

1/8" bronze brazing rod makes excellent pivots - you can make a classy pivoting lid for cheap.

Auto parts or welding supply stores have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I would look at sources such as Horton Brasses and Brusso if you want high quality hinges. Also Whitechapel, Ltd.
    I would just like to add Ball and Ball to the list that Dave supplied..

Thanks for all the responses. Several I knew about, just not for hinges.

Bradley:
    I am not quite there with my metalworking skills to think about making a hinge. But I do have another project that I can use brazing rod for a hidden drawer lock. Thanks for the reminder.

Jay, I use the rod for pivots in wood such as a piece running through an inset lid and into the sides of the box - mostly hidden. Not much metalwork, just cutting the rod to length.

Jay, decent surface-mount hinges aren't easy to find, especially if you want stop hinges so the lid of your box doesn't flop all the way over.

I've used these on several boxes and they're pretty good, for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ1ZWIY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The screws that come with them, however, are junk. If you must use them, get some #3 steel or zinc screws to pre-thread the pilot holes. Even then, you're risking them losing their heads. The #3 brass screws that Lee Valley sells are the best I've found. With the proper size pilot hole (5/64"), I've used them even without pre-threading and never had one break.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware...=3,41306,41334

Bradley: Got it. Not what I had in mind for this project, but I see where it can be useful.

Nick: I know what you mean. It seems like all you hear about are the two levels of quality.

12. I recently bought some small box hinges from Lee Valley Tools. Very inexpensive. Thought they would be Chinese made and very mediocre. Was very surprised to get them and saw they were made in Germany. I think they are a great value.

I buy a good bit from McMaster. I've never had any issues with quality. They supply our piano hinge and all sorts of latches, pulls, ect (mostly for metal enclosures and electrical boxes). Their stuff is much better than the box stores. The box stores sell junk. I think their prices a very fair and customer service is very helpful.

Stan