Thread: California Air Tools Air Compressor??

California Air Tools Air Compressor??

15020C Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 2.0 HP 15.0-Gallon Steel Tank Air Compressor

Anyone have any feedback on this brand. Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Really like the quiet aspect idea. I'm thinking of using it for the toolchanger on a CNC router.
    Was hoping to put it under the machine to avoid having to pipe from my big air compressor(probably 100' away).

Thanks in advance, Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have the 10 gallon and really like it, mainly because of how quiet it is, however, it hasn't been without its issues.

I ordered it off of Amazon and when I got there was something banging around in the motor. I assumed a screw. Never started it up, sent it back and got a new one. New one ran great for a few months then had a leak. Emailed customer service and the promptly replied with directions on how to fix it. Took me a few minutes to fix it but it comes back every now and then.

Overall, I really like it. Just takes 5-10 minutes every month or so to fix the leak. I could probably take more time and fix it properly once and not have to worry about it anymore but that would require disassembling some things and I just dont feel like messing with it.

It's REALLY quiet.

Tony, I’ve had one for several years and like it. It’s not as high a pressure as some of the others (around 120 psi instead of the more common 135 - 140 psi small compressors). I don’t recall if mine is a 4610 or 4620 but it’s one of the two.

The low noise is great.

Similar experience here, not super powerful but I love the quiet aspect.

I used it for a small job with a framing nailer - it drove 3 1/2" nails but I had to wait on it a bit

I also have the 10 gal unit. I like it a lot. You can stand right next to it and carry on a conversation even though you probably wouldn't want to do it for very long. The best thing about it is that it is probably not disturbing the persons nap on the next street over . I have sprayed with it and use a brad nailer on occasion. I don't have any air powered tools other than that yet. So, my demands are not great. I've had it for about a year and, so far, it has not had any mechanical issues.
    Last edited by William Young; 09-19-2018 at 2:17 PM.

I went for an aluminum tank. It is nice to use a compressor without scaring my wife upstairs.

Blog Entries
    Aluminum tank here as well. Quiet and reliable so far.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aluminum tank here too with an extra storage tank for increased capacity. Been a great little compressor so far and has worked wonderfully for all my woodshop and DIY type projects. These are VERY quiet and most models are very small. I have read and heard a few horror stories about them but so far mine has been fine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've had the 15020C for a couple of years. It replaced a much bigger and MUCH noisier Sears unit, and I was worried it wouldn't be powerful enough. I haven't found anything that my old unit would do that the CAT won't. However, I don't spray finishes and I don't use air tools. I can't see how you can beat the CAT when you consider price, noise level (very low) and refresh time. I would buy another one without hesitation.

I have a similar air compressor and it is amazingly quiet.

If you have a bigger air compressor that is 100' away, it might be easier to run a line. Check out RapidAir hoses. I added a line near for inflating pool toys at the other end of the house. It installed super easy. The 1/2" kit is around $80 with 100' of hose.
    Steve

11. I am still in the first month of ownership so not much history with it but I got the 2010A 1.0 HP 2.0-Gallon Aluminum Tank Air Compressor and I am very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Tony, I’ve had one for several years and like it. It’s not as high a pressure as some of the others (around 120 psi instead of the more common 135 - 140 psi small compressors). I don’t recall if mine is a 4610 or 4620 but it’s one of the two.

The low noise is great.
    Thanks, Scott
    I looked up the 4620 and saw it had the 5.30 CFM @ 90PSI I was looking for in the other one. Plus it was about $100 cheaper than the one I was looking at.

Still hoping to get down there to see you some day.

Tony Joyce
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 09-20-2018 at 2:24 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Thanks to everyone for replying and the helpful information.

Thanks to everyone for replying and the helpful information. Pushed me over the edge so I ordered the "CAT-4620AC Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 2.0 hp 4.0 gallon Aluminum Twin Tank" model.

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Thanks to everyone for replying and the helpful information. Pushed me over the edge so I ordered the "CAT-4620AC Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 2.0 hp 4.0 gallon Aluminum Twin Tank" model.
    Thats the one I went with too.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!