Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotec Running Multiple Passes Automatically

Trotec Running Multiple Passes Automatically

Good Morning All,

We're having trouble running multiple passes (different settings) without having to manually change the material settings in between passes and clicking start. I would have to assume that there is a way to do this automatically. We're running a Trotec Speedy 300 with the Job Control software. Our graphics program is Adobe Illustrator. We have cutting boards that require two passes (one for the depth, and one way out of focus to get the burn/contrast). It wouldn't be a big deal if we were only doing a few boards, but we're in more of a production environment where we'll be running a lot of these. Our first thought was to layer two colors in Adobe Illustrator. We did that, and set the raster algorithm to "color" so it could read both layers. It ran the first pass, lowered the table to take it out of focus, and then the head moved as though it was running the second pass. During the second pass however, the laser was not firing. It just went through the motions. We called Trotec support, and they were unsure of why it would not be firing on the second pass. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt (2017)
    Trotec Speedy 300 80 Watt (2019)

Your description of the sequence of events is exactly what I was going to suggest you try, till I finished reading

There should be no reason the 2nd color doesn't engrave, unless the power settings aren't right? But what do I know, maybe it's a Trotec thing, because I have the same problem with my Explorer, if any part of a second color graphic sits below the 'first' graphic, the laser completely ignores the 2nd graphic, like it doesn't exist. This sucks when running powdercoated flasks because a second pass can be much quicker than the first pass, but this machine won't even go thru the motions. My LS900 on the other hand, it does exactly what you're wanting to do, it treats 'lower' graphics like any others...

Does your machine have a rubber stamp option, and if so, could it be conflicting with what you're trying to do? Or, can it be used to DO what you're trying to do?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks for the tip Kev. I haven't looked into the stamp option yet. I'll check it out to see if I think it can be the Source of, or solution to our problem.

Do you have the "Halftone" setting set to "Colour"???
    If you don't then you will get exactly the scenario that you have described.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Are you using the Trotec color palette? If not the machinery not recognize the colors you've selected.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Kev - I was not able to make any headway with the stamp feature. I'm not sure if it's the problem, but it doesn't seem to be the solution from what I can tell.

Guy - Yes we have the halftone set to color.

Mike - Yes, we're using the Trotec colors.

I had some more observations this morning. I thought maybe it was how I was printing from Illustrator. I made sure this morning to print all layers. When the file is in the list on the right of Job Control, you can click on it and it shows an estimated time for the second color. What's odd is that the time differs from the first color time even the the speed is the same. Also, when you move the job to the plate, the estimated time for the second color goes to zero.

Try reversing the color layers to see what happens.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Carson View Post
    I thought maybe it was how I was printing from Illustrator.
    It seems to happen quite often that when someone has odd problems with their laser that defy all logic, Illustrator is in the mix. I don't think it's necessarily a problem with Illustrator, rather, I think it has something to do with how Illustrator puts out colors. If you like, send me the file and I'll import into Corel to check things out and then send it to my Speedy 400.

Have you made sure the illustrator document is in RGB and not CMYK? (File - Document Colour Mode - RGB) then reset your colours to what you want them to be - just did a test and works fine.
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

Tim - We have tried reversing the colors with no luck.

Gary - I have attached a test file we're using. The Illustrator file contains two layers (black and blue). We're trying to run the black layer at 80 power, 100 speed, 0 offset. Then we're trying to run the blue layer at 80 power, 100 speed, 0.4 offset. I appreciate you testing this out in Corel.

Jiten - Yes, our file is RGB. For your test, did you try overlapping the layers, or were the layers in different locations? We need them to be perfectly aligned on top of one another. If you don't mind, you could take a quick look at the attached file to see if it's set up differently from yours.

***Update on problem*** As mentioned in the original post, when the laser head was moving (but not firing) for the second layer, our second layer was slightly larger than the 1st. We have since corrected this so that they're exactly the same size. The laser runs the first pass, lowers the table for the 0.4 offest on the second pass, brings the table back up to 0 offest, and then says it's finished. The laser head does not move at all for the second pass.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have attached images of our print settings in case they could be helpful.

3.PNG4.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Carson View Post

***Update on problem*** As mentioned in the original post, when the laser head was moving (but not firing) for the second layer, our second layer was slightly larger than the 1st. We have since corrected this so that they're exactly the same size. The laser runs the first pass, lowers the table for the 0.4 offest on the second pass, brings the table back up to 0 offest, and then says it's finished. The laser head does not move at all for the second pass.
    Aside from the auto-table focus adjustment my Explorer doesn't have, your machine is now totally ignoring the 2nd layer color exactly as mine does. If a fix is found I'd love to see if it'll work on mine!
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-24-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

13. Grant,

I ran your file on my Trotec this morning with the same result. I create in Illustrator and print from Corel Draw. When I separate the blue and black layers and place them side by side, they engrave separately, according to the instructions in material settings for the assigned colors. When placed on top of each other, just one layer engraves. Not sure what the solution to this is. Seems like I would have noticed this earlier, as we frequently engrave wood with blue and black settings.

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Davis - Sturgis SD View Post
    Grant,

I ran your file on my Trotec this morning with the same result. I create in Illustrator and print from Corel Draw. When I separate the blue and black layers and place them side by side, they engrave separately, according to the instructions in material settings for the assigned colors. When placed on top of each other, just one layer engraves. Not sure what the solution to this is. Seems like I would have noticed this earlier, as we frequently engrave wood with blue and black settings.

Bob
    Thanks for testing this out. At least I don't feel crazy for the results we were getting now.

Hi Grant

Sorry didn't realise you were talking about engraving - I tested cutting. Just ran it and you are right - it doesn't work. What I did that combats this and shouldn't affect your final piece it to offset the blue layer (the back layer). I gave it a 0.001mm offset which just creaps the blue over the black. To the naked eye you would never be able to see 0.001mm. Job Control now sees both layers and engraves them as you would want them too.

Object - Path - Offset Path
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic