Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinder help

Grinder help

I have been thinking a lot lately with developing a new sharpening routine for planes, chisels, and such lately, looking at the Tormek, Proedge, Worksharp, Rikon with CBN, etc. I have been kind of obsessed with Baldor grinders…long and short, I bought a grinder that I think is a Baldor today. Its a 10”, but the name plate is gone. From my internet research, it looks like a 1021W. My plan is to put a VFD on the grinder, and go from there. I am hoping it works. If it does, then I am going to figure out some type of wheels, maybe CBN, maybe a belt sander attachment, maybe a buffing wheel…but thats all getting ahead of myself.

My first question is, can I assume this a 3 phase motor? There are 9 wires coming out from the motor, labelled 1-9. If so, do you have a recommendation for a VFD which would give me variable speed? Seems like there are 2hp, no name units on amazon and ebay. Brands that I recognize start at $200 or so. Thanks for your help.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 09-18-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: too many pics

That looks my Baldor grinder which is single phase. I can not remember if it was that or an older stanley that has an oddball size arbor. I believe 7/8 instead of the common 3/4. I ended up buying a wheel and drilling the hole out with a carbide concrete drill of the correct size. No hammer drilling mode allowed. Worked fine and quickly trued up when mounted.
    Make sure to use blotters under the flanges on both sides or you may crack the wheel. I made mine from cereal boxes.
    Bill D.

Hey Bill, thanks for that link. It was very helpful. Per that link, it looks like its 3 phase wired 208/220. And yes, its a 7/8" arbor. Now I am trying to decide whether its worth putting $500 into this thing.
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 09-19-2018 at 3:26 PM.

The link works now. Once you get the wires sorted out measure each coil for resistance and make sure they are 3 similar numbers. If that is good the motor is probably good. not much to fail in a three phase motor. Did you get the tool rests? mine are gone I have to figure how to make new ones.
    Bill D

Nope, no tool rests. Ohmeter says consistent on the coils. Ordered a TECO FM50-202-C, hope it works!

You should be fine with that VFD. I did almost exactly the same thing earlier this year with a Delta/Rockwell 10 inch 3 phase grinder. The instructions with the TECO VFDs are not always clear, but their technical support is awesome! They had me up and running in about five minutes after I told them I was stumped. Just remember that you cannot put a disconnect or switch in between the motor connections and the VFD. If you want to use a switch rather than controlling on/off at the VFD, you will have to wire from the switch directly to the VFD for control. There are terminals on the VFD for this purpose. I ended up using a TECO/Westinghouse L510 from Dealers Electric which has worked flawlessly. Good Luck!
    Joe
    Engineer - noun (en-juh-neer)
    Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
    See also wizard, magician

IMG_0443.jpg Here is what my installation looks like. The VFD is mounted inside the enclosure that I mounted on the wall behind the grinder.
    Joe
    Engineer - noun (en-juh-neer)
    Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
    See also wizard, magician

Just get these bushings and wheels with 1" ID bores. It's much simpler that boring a wheel out and it only has to be done once. Here's a dead link.
    mscdirect.com/product/details/57859068

You can slow it down with a VFD but not much lower than 1/3 speed, which can still burn edges. You will not be making a Tormek this way.

10" probably is slow to start with.

Use the smallest wheel that will work and the FPM is slowed down.
    Bill D

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the VFD, Joe. Tracking says delivery the 25th. I'll update when (if?) I get the thing spinning. Thinking, now, about a 10" 180 grit CBN from D-way and a hard, felt wheel (with a fine stone in between). But, per Bill, maybe something smaller? Any reason to go 10"? Just always seems bigger is better if you can.
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 09-20-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Go too small and the motor and guards get in the way. At least for side grinding.
    Bil ld.

Update-
    I got a VFD and a 10”, 180 grit CBN wheel from D-way tools, then made an mdf strop wheel from two plys of 3/4” mdf. I have been running the grinder at 10 hz, which should equate to about 300 rpms and I can switch the direction for the mdf wheel. Put a front guide bar on that I made from a steel forming stake per Ian Kirbys sharpening method and am working on the angle guides for it. Right off the bat, its amazing how sharp I got all of my kitchen knives in a about 1 minute each on the mdf wheel. (Amazing to me, at least!) I have a piece of melamine with 600, 1500, and 2000 grit for honing after grinding.

I am pretty happy with this setup.grinder.jpg
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 10-03-2018 at 7:00 PM.