Thread: Big Poplar Trees - What to do?

Big Poplar Trees - What to do?

So my buddy has some really big poplar trees that have some damage. They eventually need to come down, and we want to lumber them.

Questions:

1. Is it better to keep the trees standing until the portable saw mill can get out there? Or, should we cut and store it in the log form?

2. If we cut them, how long should poplar be stored in log form?

3. Sealing log ends? What other products other than Anchorseal?

Thanks.

Ps Anything else you would recommend?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 09-18-2018 at 9:38 PM.

When one had to be removed I've cut and sawn right away. Keep the log off the ground if possible and seal to minimize loss at the ends. Some people use paint to seal but reports are mixed. I use Anchorseal, a lot cheaper if bought in bulk from UC Coatings.

I prefer to fell trees in the winter when dormant. Less water, bug and fungal damage is minimized, and less checking even when not sealed in cooler weather.

When you say "poplar" in Ohio I assume you mean Yellow/Tulip Poplar. It's pretty stable compared to some. Best to mill quickly but I still got good lumber after the logs sat for a few months. But felling just before the milling is a lot better if possible.

When you say "damage" I hope you didn't mean lightning damage or they might only be good for firewood.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    So my buddy has some really big poplar trees that have some damage. They eventually need to come down, and we want to lumber them.

Questions:

1. Is it better to keep the trees standing until the portable saw mill can get out there? Or, should we cut and store it in the log form?

2. If we cut them, how long should poplar be stored in log form?

3. Sealing log ends? What other products other than Anchorseal?

Thanks.

Ps Anything else you would recommend?

John’s advice above is spot on. Follow it and you won’t be disappointed.

thanks guys.

Do you Anchorseal before it's cut up, or apply to each slab afterwards? Or, does it matter?

Anchorseal immediately after cutting the logs. If you're cutting thicker than 4/4 it helps to apply a second coat after milling to the ends, that extends an inch or two onto the faces.